How Is the Constraint Function in Equation 727 Used in Lagrangian Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses researching applications of non-potential and/or non-conservative forces in Lagrangian mechanics. The speaker shares a webpage they found and asks for clarification on a specific equation. Another person explains that the equation represents the no slip condition in words. The constraint function is then described as x=aφ, with x=0 as the initial condition. The overall conversation praises Fitzpatrick's work.
cmmcnamara
So in my internet readings on Lagrangian mechanics I started researching applications with non-potential and/or non-conservative forces and came across this page:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/336k/Newton/node90.html

This page is fascinating but I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding a piece of the first example. Can some one explain to me the constraint function they came up with? Its labeled as equation 727. I feel like I'm missing something obvious but I just can't figure it out. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this the no slip condition?

That is in words

The distance (χ) down the plane = the angle turned through by the cylinder times the radius

Precisely: If the cylinder is rolling without slipping the distance, traveled of a fixed point from the initial time, where we set [itex]\phi=0[/itex] is given by the circumference along the cylinder boundary, i.e., it's [itex]a \phi[/itex], where [itex]a[/itex] is the cylinder's radius. The same distance the cylinder's center axis has travelled, i.e., we must have the constraint
[tex]x=a \phi,[/tex]
where we have chosen [itex]x=0[/itex] as an initial condition. The constraint function is then given (up to a sign and an overall multiplicative constant, which both are irrelevant for the solution of the problem) thus reads in this case as given by Eq. (727).

All the scripts of Fitzpatrick's are just mavelous by the way!:smile:

Sigh...I knew it was something obvious, thanks a lot guys!

I would be happy to provide some clarification on the constraint function in equation 727. In Lagrangian mechanics, a constraint function is used to represent any restrictions on the motion of a system. In the example on the website you provided, the system consists of two masses connected by a rigid rod, and the constraint function represents the length of the rod.

Equation 727 is derived from the constraint that the length of the rod must remain constant. This is represented by the equation:

L = sqrt((x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2)

where L is the length of the rod, x1 and y1 are the coordinates of the first mass, and x2 and y2 are the coordinates of the second mass.

To incorporate this constraint into the Lagrangian, we use the method of Lagrange multipliers. This involves introducing a new variable, λ (lambda), and adding it to the Lagrangian as a multiplier. The Lagrangian then becomes:

L' = T - V + λ(L - L0)

where T is the kinetic energy, V is the potential energy, and L0 is the desired length of the rod. This equation is then used to derive the equations of motion for the system.

In summary, the constraint function in equation 727 represents the length of the rod in the system and is used to incorporate the constraint into the Lagrangian. I hope this helps clarify the concept. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to How Is the Constraint Function in Equation 727 Used in Lagrangian Mechanics?

What is Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of systems using a set of generalized coordinates, velocities, and forces. It is named after the Italian mathematician and astronomer Joseph-Louis Lagrange.

How is Lagrangian Mechanics different from Newtonian Mechanics?

Unlike Newtonian Mechanics, which is based on the concept of forces and acceleration, Lagrangian Mechanics is based on the principle of least action. This means that the motion of a system can be determined by finding the path that minimizes the action, which is a measure of the energy of the system.

What are the advantages of using Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics offers a more elegant and concise way of describing the motion of systems compared to traditional methods like Newtonian Mechanics. It also allows for the use of more convenient coordinate systems, making calculations simpler and more efficient.

What are some real-world applications of Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics has been used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. Some examples include analyzing the motion of celestial bodies, predicting the behavior of mechanical systems, and developing control algorithms for robotic systems.

Is knowledge of advanced mathematics required to understand Lagrangian Mechanics?

While a basic understanding of calculus and differential equations is necessary, one does not need to be a math expert to understand Lagrangian Mechanics. With practice and patience, anyone can master the concepts and applications of this framework.