How is oil naturally pushed to the top of reservoirs?

• Thread starter Charles123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, oil is typically found in a layer of porous rock and is driven upwards by buoyancy forces until it reaches an impermeable top layer that traps it. The buoyancy forces are unable to overcome the capillary forces of the sealing medium, causing a trap to form. This process is similar to a viscous liquid trying to float up through denser rock. Water is often present in the reservoir and interacts with the hydrocarbons, pushing them up due to gravity segregation.
Charles123
I am not talking about drive mechanisms used in oil extraction, like water or gas injection. I am referring simply to the fact that oil migrates to the top of reservoirs until it reaches an impermeable top layer that traps it.
"A trap forms when the buoyancy forces driving the upward migration of hydrocarbons through a permeable rock cannot overcome the capillary forces of a sealing medium." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_reservoir
From what I understand oil is usually found in a layer of porous rock. Sometimes there is water at the bottom, but let's assume that is not the case. What causes this buoyancy?
Thank you
Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't think of the ground as "solid". Think or it as a very viscous liquid. The oil simply trys to float up through the denser rock.

Thank you for your answer.
But, and thinking about the most common oil reservoirs, made of sandstone. It's not easy to image it as a viscous liquid. If it was only made up of small loose grains of sand then I would understand it, but it is not the case, it is more of a porous solid…
Regards

No more thoughts on this?

I just wanted to share this:
I asked this question to a petroleum engineer, and apparently the answer is that water is always present so when hydrocarbons are formed they interact with water (not chemically) and being lighter than water are pushed up-dip due to gravity segregation.
Regards

Related to How is oil naturally pushed to the top of reservoirs?

1. How does oil form in the first place?

Oil is formed from the remains of tiny plants and animals that lived in the ocean millions of years ago. When these organisms died, their remains settled to the bottom of the ocean and were buried under layers of sediment. Over time, the pressure and heat from the Earth's crust caused these remains to break down and turn into oil and gas.

2. What is a reservoir and how does oil get trapped inside?

A reservoir is a porous and permeable rock layer that contains oil and gas. This rock layer is usually found deep beneath the Earth's surface. Oil gets trapped inside reservoirs when there is a layer of impermeable rock, such as shale or salt, above the reservoir, preventing the oil from escaping to the surface.

3. How is oil naturally pushed to the top of reservoirs?

There are several natural forces that help push oil to the top of reservoirs. One of the main forces is the pressure from the weight of the overlying rocks. As more oil and gas is added to the reservoir, the pressure increases and forces the oil to move upwards. Another force is the natural gas that is found alongside oil in reservoirs. As the gas expands, it pushes the oil towards the surface.

4. Does all oil rise to the top of reservoirs?

No, not all oil rises to the top of reservoirs. The ability of oil to rise to the top depends on its density and the density of the surrounding rocks. If the surrounding rocks are more dense than the oil, the oil may be trapped and unable to rise to the top. This is known as a "cap rock". In some cases, oil may also get trapped in smaller pores within the reservoir, making it difficult for it to move upwards.

5. Can human activities affect the natural movement of oil in reservoirs?

Yes, human activities such as drilling and injecting fluids into the reservoir can affect the natural movement of oil. Drilling can create new pathways for oil to escape, while injecting fluids can change the pressure and composition of the reservoir, altering the natural forces that push oil to the surface. This is why careful planning and monitoring is necessary in the oil industry to ensure the efficient extraction of oil from reservoirs.