How Is Maximum Force Calculated from Impulse in a Bouncing Ball Scenario?

In summary: Therefore, F_max = 2*2.304/0.005 = 920.8 NIn summary, to find the maximum force exerted by the floor on the ball, we calculate the area under the impulse graph and use the change in momentum equation to find the force. Using this method, the maximum force exerted on the ball is 920.8 N.
merzperson

Homework Statement

A 200 g ball is dropped from a height of 1.9 m, bounces on a hard floor, and rebounds to a height of 1.5 m. The figure shows the impulse received from the floor.
What maximum force does the floor exert on the ball?

09.P29.jpg

Homework Equations

Kinetics:
x-xo = vot + 0.5at2
v2 = v02 + 2a(x - xo)
v = vo + at

Momentum and Force:
SF*dt = dP = m*dv

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was calculate the velocity of the ball just as it hit the ground (-6.10m/s) and just as it rebounded (5.42m/s).
Then, using these I found the dv (5.42 + 6.10 = 11.52m/s) and plugged that into the momentum equation:
dP = m * dv
dP = 0.2 * 11.52 = 2.304 = SFdt

From here I don't know how to calculate the maximum force, as I know virtually nothing about integrals. Also, my work so far is probably wrong somewhere so some help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm in mechanics and i have not seen a question about max force. But i'll try this. From the graph we can see the Impulse which is the area under the curve is (1/2)(0.005s)F_max
This is equal to the change in momentum which we can calculate.

So F_max = 2*(p2-p1)/0.005

Where p2-p1 = m(v2-v1)

I would like to clarify that impulse and force are closely related but not the same. Impulse is the change in momentum of an object, while force is the cause of that change in momentum. In this situation, the floor exerts a force on the ball, causing it to change its momentum.

To calculate the maximum force exerted by the floor on the ball, we can use the impulse-momentum theorem: impulse = change in momentum. In this case, the impulse is equal to the change in momentum of the ball as it hits the floor and rebounds.

First, we need to calculate the initial momentum of the ball before it hits the floor. This can be done using the equation p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Since the ball is dropped from a height of 1.9 m, its initial velocity is 0 m/s. Therefore, the initial momentum is 0 kg*m/s.

Next, we need to calculate the final momentum of the ball after it rebounds. This can be done using the same equation, but with the velocity of the ball after rebounding. From the given information, we know that the ball rebounds to a height of 1.5 m with a velocity of 5.42 m/s. Therefore, the final momentum is 0.2 kg * 5.42 m/s = 1.084 kg*m/s.

Now, we can calculate the impulse using the equation I = Δp = pf - pi, where I is impulse, pf is final momentum, and pi is initial momentum. Therefore, the impulse is 1.084 kg*m/s.

Finally, we can calculate the maximum force exerted by the floor using the equation F = I/Δt, where F is force and Δt is the time interval during which the impulse occurs. Since the ball is in contact with the floor for a very short time, we can assume that Δt is very small, almost instantaneous. Therefore, the maximum force exerted by the floor on the ball is approximately equal to the impulse, which is 1.084 kg*m/s.

In conclusion, the maximum force exerted by the floor on the ball is approximately 1.084 kg*m/s. It is important to note that this is an idealized calculation and may not accurately represent the actual force exerted due to factors such as air resistance and the elasticity of the ball and floor.

Related to How Is Maximum Force Calculated from Impulse in a Bouncing Ball Scenario?

What is impulse?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object. It is the product of force and time, and is represented by the equation I = F x t.

What is the difference between impulse and force?

Force is a push or pull on an object, while impulse is a measure of the change in momentum caused by a force. Force is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while impulse is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude.

How is impulse related to the concept of momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is directly proportional to its mass and velocity. Impulse is the change in an object's momentum, so it is also directly related to an object's mass and velocity. A larger impulse will result in a greater change in momentum.

What is the formula for calculating maximum force?

The formula for calculating maximum force is F = m x a, where m is the mass of the object and a is the acceleration. This formula is derived from Newton's second law, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

How can understanding impulse and max force be useful in real-world applications?

Understanding impulse and max force can be useful in a variety of fields, including sports, engineering, and safety. In sports, for example, athletes can use knowledge of impulse to improve their performance and prevent injuries. In engineering, understanding max force can help in designing structures and machines that can withstand certain amounts of force. In safety, knowledge of impulse and max force can help prevent accidents and ensure the safety of individuals in different environments.