How Is Kinetic Energy Related to Cue Ball Motion in Pool?

In summary: It is 1/2mv2. For part (b), if you multiply speed and time, what do you get? For part (c), if you multiply speed and time, what do you get? For part (d), if you multiply speed and time, what do you get? For part (e), if you multiply speed and time, what do you get? The work done in part a) is 1/2mv2. The speed of light is 3.00x10g m/s. The time it takes for light to reach the Earth is 8.3 minutes. The speed of the electron is 3.2x10g
say_uri
Hello , i need some help solving a few questions. please help :) thankyou

a)A pool Cue exerted an average force of 160N on a cue ball over a distance of 0.012m How much work did the cue do on the ball.

b)If all the work done on (a) was transformed into kinetic energy of 0.0200kg cue ball, what was the speed of the ball?

c) Light from the sun reaches the Earth in 8.3min. The speed of light is 3.00x10g m/s. in kilometer, how far is the Earth from the sun?

d)An electron travels at a unifor velocity of 3.2x10g m/s, how much time is required for a displacement of 1.0m?

e)A person walks 5.0 km torwards the east in 2.0 hours,then 1.5 km towards the west in 0.5 hour, and finally 10.0 km torwards the east again in 2.25 hour. What is the person's average velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to show some attempt before anyone here can help you.

say_uri said:
a)A pool Cue exerted an average force of 160N on a cue ball over a distance of 0.012m How much work did the cue do on the ball.

b)If all the work done on (a) was transformed into kinetic energy of 0.0200kg cue ball, what was the speed of the ball?

What is the definition of work done and kinetic energy?

say_uri said:
c) Light from the sun reaches the Earth in 8.3min. The speed of light is 3.00x10g m/s. in kilometer, how far is the Earth from the sun?

How would you find distance given speed and time?

say_uri said:
d)An electron travels at a unifor velocity of 3.2x10g m/s, how much time is required for a displacement of 1.0m?

How do find time given distance and velocity?

say_uri said:
e)A person walks 5.0 km torwards the east in 2.0 hours,then 1.5 km towards the west in 0.5 hour, and finally 10.0 km torwards the east again in 2.25 hour. What is the person's average velocity?
What are the individual velocities for the journey?

well for a and b , i tried it. but i don't think it is correct.

a) w=f^d
w=160Nx0.012m
w=1.96

b) Ek=1/2mv2
i canceled , then ended up with √ 2x0.0200/1.92
V= 0.14433756729741

and for the rest of the questions i need help with the equations to use for.
c,d,and e
thanks

say_uri said:
b) Ek=1/2mv2
i canceled , then ended up with √ 2x0.0200/1.92
V= 0.14433756729741

You should have gotten

[tex]v = \sqrt{\frac{2E_k}{m}}[/tex]

Check it again.

For c an d, if you multiply speed and time, what do you get?

for c,d and e.
C) i got 2490 km
8.3x30=2490

D)320 000 3.2x100 000

E)5.0x2.0=10
1.5x0.5=0.75
10.0x2.25=22.5

i don't know what to do next?

for b,
i calculated again , is this one right?

say_uri said:
for c,d and e.
C) i got 2490 km
8.3x30=2490

D)320 000 3.2x100 000

E)5.0x2.0=10
1.5x0.5=0.75
10.0x2.25=22.5

i don't know what to do next?
What are you using for the speed of light and the speed of the electron? I don't think you mean 'g' to be 9.81 m/s2

say_uri said:
for b,
i calculated again , is this one right?

Ek is the work done in part a).

Related to How Is Kinetic Energy Related to Cue Ball Motion in Pool?

What is cue ball kinetic energy?

Cue ball kinetic energy is the energy that a cue ball possesses due to its motion. It is a type of mechanical energy and is dependent on the mass and velocity of the cue ball.

How is cue ball kinetic energy calculated?

Cue ball kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the cue ball, and v is the velocity of the cue ball.

Does the material of the cue ball affect its kinetic energy?

Yes, the material of the cue ball can affect its kinetic energy. A heavier cue ball will have more kinetic energy than a lighter cue ball, and a cue ball made of a more elastic material will have more kinetic energy than a cue ball made of a less elastic material.

How does the kinetic energy of the cue ball affect the game of pool?

The kinetic energy of the cue ball is essential in determining the direction and speed of the ball after it is struck by the cue stick. It is also important in collisions with other balls on the table, as it can transfer its kinetic energy to them.

Can the kinetic energy of the cue ball be changed?

Yes, the kinetic energy of the cue ball can be changed by altering its mass or velocity. This can be done by using a different cue ball or by adjusting the force and angle of the cue stick when striking the ball.