How Is Induced Current Calculated in a Moving Bar Near a Wire?

In summary, the problem involves a long vertical wire with a steady 17 A current, a pair of horizontal rails 0.2 m apart, a 7.6 Ω resistor connecting the rails, and a bar that is moved by an external force at a constant velocity of 0.5 m/s. At a given instant t1, the bar is 0.18 m from the wire and there is a negligible resistance in the bar and rails. Using the given values, the induced current at this instant is calculated to be 0.201 μA. However, the setup is unclear and further clarification or a figure is needed to fully understand the problem.
Lizziecupcake
Problem: A long vertical wire carries a steady 17 A current. A pair of rails are horizontal and are 0.2 m apart. A 7.6 Ω resistor connects points a and b, at the end of the rails. A bar is in contact with the rails, and is moved by an external force with a constant velocity of 0.5 m/s as shown. The bar and the rails have negligible resistance. At a given instant t1, the bar is 0.18 m from the wire, as shown. In Figure, at time t1, the induced current in µA is:
Express the answer in three decimal places.

My attempt at the question:
Current in the wire, i = 17 A
Distance between the rails, d = 0.20 m
Resistance, R = 7.6 Ω
Velocity , v = 0.50 m/s
At time t1, the bar is 0.18 m from the wire

B = μ0 i / 2 π d
= (4 π *10-7 T.m/A) (17 A) / 2π (0.20 m)
B = 1.7 *10-5 T
------------------------------------------------------
Induced emf , ε = dφ / dt
= B L v
= (1.7 *10-5 T) (0.18 m) (0.50 m/s)
= 1.53 *10-6 V
-----------------------------------------------------------
Induced current, I = ε / R
= (1.53 *10-6 V) / (7.6 Ω)
= 2.01 *10-7 A
= 0.201 μ A

It seems to be wrong so I don't exactly know what I'm doing wrong so could someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still trying to get my head round the set-up. It sounds as though the bar, rails and resistor make a rectangle which is perpendicular to the vertical wire with steady current. Is this right? But in this case, the vertical wire would create a magnetic field which is not perpendicular to the rectangle. So the magnetic flux would be zero, at all times... But it seems unlikely that the answer would just be zero, so I think I have misunderstood the set-up somehow.

cupcake, you said some figure is there. figure will help

Related to How Is Induced Current Calculated in a Moving Bar Near a Wire?

1. What is induced current?

Induced current is an electric current that is created by a changing magnetic field. It occurs when a magnetic field moves across a conductor or when a conductor moves through a magnetic field.

2. How is induced current different from regular current?

Regular current is created by an external voltage source, such as a battery, while induced current is created by a changing magnetic field. Induced current can also flow in both directions, unlike regular current which only flows in one direction.

3. What factors influence the magnitude of induced current?

The magnitude of induced current is influenced by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the conductor moves through the field, and the angle between the magnetic field and the conductor. Additionally, the type of material and the length of the conductor can also affect the magnitude of induced current.

4. How does Lenz's law relate to induced current?

Lenz's law states that the direction of induced current will always oppose the change in the magnetic field that caused it. This means that if the magnetic field is increasing, the induced current will flow in one direction, and if the magnetic field is decreasing, the induced current will flow in the opposite direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of induced current?

Induced current is used in many devices, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also the basis for technologies like wireless charging and electromagnetic induction cooktops. Induced current is also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, to create detailed images of the body's internal structures.