How is general relativity cast as a gauge theory?

In summary, general relativity is cast as a gauge theory, which has diffeomorphism invariance and Lorentz invariance under local transformations. Supergravity and Teleparallel gravity are gauge theories with extra features that arise from the field equations. Brans-Dicke theory is complxicated, while Nordstrom theory does not include the weak equivalence principle.
Phrak
how is general relativity cast as a gauge theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
If your question means 'In what sense does GR possesses gauge invariance?' then, in the classical (Einstein) formulation it has only diffeomorphism invariance; and diffeomorphism transformations are generated by the Lie derivative operator L_v, for arbitrary vector field v.
't Hooft and Veltman, Ann. Inst. Henri Poincare A 20, 69 (1974)
briefly discuss gauge fixing and Feynman rules. (I think this paper is generally available at http://www.numdam.org/numdam-bin/feuilleter?j=AIHPA)

However, in order to treat spinor fields, spinor geometry is a compelling option. In this case the vierbein replaces the metric as the fundamental dynamical variable, and in addition to diffeomorphism invariance it has invariance under local Lorentz transforms. There's an excellent explanation in
Deser and Nieuwenhuizen, Phys. Rev. D 10, 411 (1974)
if you can get it from a library. There's also
Brandt, Lectures on Supergravity
http://xxx.soton.ac.uk/abs/hep-th/0204035
particularly sect 3.3.

BTW, the 't Hooft/Veltman paper and a pair of Deser/Nieuwenhuizen papers are classics from quantum gravity; 't Hooft/Veltman showed (one-loop) renormalizability of source-free GR, but that coupling to a scalar field breaks renormalizability; Deser/Nieuwenhuizen showed that coupling to either electromagnetism or fermions also breaks renormalizability. The lack of renormalizability is a crucial difference between GR and other gauge field theories such as Yang-Mills or QCD. So... where to next?

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
schieghoven said:
If your question means 'In what sense does GR possesses gauge invariance?' then, in the classical (Einstein) formulation it has only diffeomorphism invariance; and diffeomorphism transformations are generated by the Lie derivative operator L_v, for arbitrary vector field v.
't Hooft and Veltman, Ann. Inst. Henri Poincare A 20, 69 (1974)
briefly discuss gauge fixing and Feynman rules. (I think this paper is generally available at http://www.numdam.org/numdam-bin/feuilleter?j=AIHPA)

However, in order to treat spinor fields, spinor geometry is a compelling option. In this case the vierbein replaces the metric as the fundamental dynamical variable, and in addition to diffeomorphism invariance it has invariance under local Lorentz transforms. There's an excellent explanation in
Deser and Nieuwenhuizen, Phys. Rev. D 10, 411 (1974)
if you can get it from a library. There's also
Brandt, Lectures on Supergravity
http://xxx.soton.ac.uk/abs/hep-th/0204035
particularly sect 3.3.

BTW, the 't Hooft/Veltman paper and a pair of Deser/Nieuwenhuizen papers are classics from quantum gravity; 't Hooft/Veltman showed (one-loop) renormalizability of source-free GR, but that coupling to a scalar field breaks renormalizability; Deser/Nieuwenhuizen showed that coupling to either electromagnetism or fermions also breaks renormalizability. The lack of renormalizability is a crucial difference between GR and other gauge field theories such as Yang-Mills or QCD. So... where to next?

Dave

Much appreciated for future reference. They're over my current skills, though.

Is supergravity your main interest in physics?

I was under the impression that general relativity could be caste as a local (and classical) gauge theory where, somehow, some aspect of the connection would manifest as the stress energy tensor. Do you know if this is the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be slightly off-topic, but Teleparallel gravity, which is not GR but has the same field equations if one assumes the equivalence bwtween inertial and gravitational mass.

Teleparallel gravity corresponds to a gauge theory of
the translation group. According to this model, to each
point of spacetime there is attached a Minkowski tangent
space, on which the translation (gauge) group acts.

See here and references within -

http://uk.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0312008v1

M

Mentz114 said:
This may be slightly off-topic, but Teleparallel gravity, which is not GR but has the same field equations if one assumes the equivalence bwtween inertial and gravitational mass.

They make an intesting claim. If I read them right, working backwards, the weak equivalence principle is not a direct result of field eqations of general relativity.

There's something large in this that I don't quite understand.

atyy said:
I've never read this properly, but it's somewhere in here:

Fields
W. Siegel
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9912205

Good grief, that's a 885 page text! Care to summarize it? :rolleyes:

Phrak said:
Good grief, that's a 885 page text! Care to summarize it? :rolleyes:

Damn, you didn't fall for my trap! :frown: I was hoping you'd summarise it for me. :smile: Not sure if this is any more helpful, but it it is shorter (see Peter Woit's response to p falor): http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=705

Phrak said:
If I read them right, working backwards, the weak equivalence principle is not a direct result of field eqations of general relativity.

Nordstrom's theory is an alternative that incorporates the weak equivalence principle, so it predicts gravitational redshift. EP alone predicts only half the solar bending of light compared to GR, because of extra bending due to curvature. Nordstrom theory predicts no bending because curvature cancels EP bending.

Another theory that has the equivalence principle is Brans-Dicke theory. It is a modification of GR in which the EP holds except for bodies held together by gravity, a feature discovered by Nordtvedt.

atyy said:
Nordstrom's theory is an alternative that incorporates the weak equivalence principle, so it predicts gravitational redshift. EP alone predicts only half the solar bending of light compared to GR, because of extra bending due to curvature. Nordstrom theory predicts no bending because curvature cancels EP bending.

Another theory that has the equivalence principle is Brans-Dicke theory. It is a modification of GR in which the EP holds except for bodies held together by gravity, a feature discovered by Nordtvedt.

atyy, you've got some hidden talents of which I could not have guessed.

I'd thought there would be a simpler answer to my question where general relativity was cast as a classical, and local gauge theory on the Christoffel connection. Maybe there is. I still don't know. It's assumed I'm asking for the quatized variety, or there's been no classical variety found--thus no comments on null results.

Phrak:
They make an intesting claim. If I read them right, working backwards, the weak equivalence principle is not a direct result of field eqations of general relativity.

There's something large in this that I don't quite understand.
They do show that without minertial=mgrav the GR EOMs are inconsistent and no free-fall can be defined. But I think we knew that already. GR has to assume the weak equivalence principle, otherwise geometry does not fully describe the field and individual particle properties must be taken into account.

M

atyy said:
Damn, you didn't fall for my trap! :frown: I was hoping you'd summarise it for me. :smile: Not sure if this is any more helpful, but it it is shorter (see Peter Woit's response to p falor): http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=705

Hey, I've looked ove that encyclopedic tome for the insomniatic, and eternally masochistic, and invented a lot of clever and nasty things say about it! It's certainly no way to learn about any[/] subject, what-so-ever, on this planet or the next. It was undoubtedly composed by a team of grad students in trade for better grades.

After calming down I think it should be an excellent reference, adding depth to something already studied. I've hard-copied 200 pages of mysterious formulae already.

Related to How is general relativity cast as a gauge theory?

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravitation that was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It is based on the idea that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. How is general relativity related to gauge theory?

In general relativity, the gravitational field is described using a mathematical framework called Riemannian geometry. This framework is similar to that used in gauge theories, which describe other fundamental forces, such as electromagnetism. Both theories involve the use of gauge transformations, which are mathematical operations that preserve the underlying structure of the theory.

3. What is a gauge theory?

A gauge theory is a type of physical theory that describes the interactions between elementary particles. It is based on the idea that fundamental forces, such as electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces, are described by mathematical symmetries known as gauge symmetries.

4. How is general relativity cast as a gauge theory?

General relativity can be reformulated as a gauge theory by using the mathematical framework of gauge theory to describe the gravitational field. This involves treating the metric tensor, which describes the curvature of spacetime, as a gauge field and introducing a gauge symmetry that preserves the form of the equations of general relativity.

5. What are the implications of casting general relativity as a gauge theory?

Casting general relativity as a gauge theory allows for a deeper understanding of the theory and its connection to other fundamental forces. It also provides a more elegant and unified framework for describing gravity and other forces. Additionally, it has led to the development of theories such as string theory, which aim to unify all of the fundamental forces in a single mathematical framework.