How Is Entropy Calculated During Isothermal Expansion in a Carnot Engine?

In summary, the problem involves finding the entropy increase during the isothermal expansion of a Carnot engine operating with 1 kg of methane as an ideal gas. The ratio of specific heat capacities is given as 1.35 and the ratio of maximum volume to minimum volume is 4. The cycle efficiency is 25%. The solution involves setting Q1/Q2=-T1/T2=-3/4 and using the adiabatic expansion equation to get Vc/Vb.
Emspak

Homework Statement

A Carnot engine operates with 1 kg of methane, which we will consider an ideal gas.

The ratio of specific heat capacities [itex]\gamma[/itex] is 1.35.

The ratio of maximum volume to minimum volume is 4 and the cycle efficiency is 25%.

Find the entropy increase during the isothermal expansion.

Homework Equations

The temperature is constant if the expansion. I wasn't sure which equations to start with, though, because the equations I saw int he text all seem to be predicated on the temperature being different.

Now, I could put T in terms of P for the ideal gas, so if [itex]PV = nRT[/itex] and I keep T constant, [itex]T = \frac{PV}{nR}[/itex] and then use the following for entropy, since this is a Carnot engine and it's a reversible process:

$$S_b - S_a = \int^a_b \frac{d'Q_T}{T} = \int^a_b \frac{d'Q_T nR}{PV} = nR \int^a_b \frac{d'Q_T}{PV}$$

But I have no idea if I am even on the right track with this. So really I am hoping someone can tell me if I am going in the right direction. Because I am really not sure.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing a picture of the process.

In isothermal expansion, ΔU=0.

Now, [tex]W=\int_b^c PdV = \int_b^c \frac{nRT}{V}dV = nRT\ln(\frac{V_c}{V_b})[/tex]

Do you see what you have to do from here?Also, I don't think this belongs in "advanced physics".

Last edited:
I am not sure. I can use the work function and say it is Q2-Q1, but all of the functions I see that relate S to Q depend on temperature. Unless I can just plug in what T is in terms of P and go from there.

I put it in advanced because it said upper level undergrad and a lot of Carnot engine problems here. So I went with that. If it belongs in beginner phys then so be it.

Emspak said:
I am not sure. I can use the work function and say it is Q2-Q1, but all of the functions I see that relate S to Q depend on temperature. Unless I can just plug in what T is in terms of P and go from there.

I put it in advanced because it said upper level undergrad and a lot of Carnot engine problems here. So I went with that. If it belongs in beginner phys then so be it.

How does efficiency relate to Q and T?

well let's see. In a Carnot with two different temperatures thermal efficiency [itex]\eta = \frac{W}{Q}[/itex] but that's the thing that gets me here, because [itex]Q = c_P(T_2-T_1)[/itex]. But the process is isothermal. I could plug in pressure instead, assuming T constant as I did at the beginning. But that's where this whole problem sort of ceases making sense to me because the whole way a Carnot works is moving heat between reservoirs of two different temperatures and a free expansion of gas does no work at all...

[tex]\eta = 1-\frac{T_1}{T_2}[/tex]
[tex]\eta = 1+\frac{Q_1}{Q_2}[/tex]

You can use this along with the adiabatic expansion equation to get Vc/Vb.

Draw a picture of the process.

Drawing a picture should be on a P-V diagram, yes? And I should have a diagram in which the let side is Vb and the right side is Vc, and the top is P2 and the bottom p1, yes?

Also, in the second expression with eta, Q1 and Q2 are both dependent on T are they not? And if the process is isothermal T2-T1 is zero! That means η=1. Well ok then, but the original problem says it isn't!

What am I missing here?

Emspak said:
Drawing a picture should be on a P-V diagram, yes? And I should have a diagram in which the let side is Vb and the right side is Vc, and the top is P2 and the bottom p1, yes?

Also, in the second expression with eta, Q1 and Q2 are both dependent on T are they not? And if the process is isothermal T2-T1 is zero! That means η=1. Well ok then, but the original problem says it isn't!

What am I missing here?

If you set them equal to each other you'll see that Q1/Q2=-T1/T2=-3/4, since the efficiency is .25. With this relationship and the adibatic expansion equation [itex] TV^{\gamma -1} \implies T_{2}V_{c}^{\gamma -1}=T_{1}V_{b}^{\gamma -1}[/itex]
Now rearrange so that you have Vc/Vb

Likes 1 person
thanks a lot - i actually figured it out once I looked at my diagram and realized what you were getting at with the b and c subscripts... stupid of me.

Emspak said:
thanks a lot - i actually figured it out once I looked at my diagram and realized what you were getting at with the b and c subscripts... stupid of me.

Good job :)

Related to How Is Entropy Calculated During Isothermal Expansion in a Carnot Engine?

1. What is a Carnot engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical heat engine that operates on the principle of reversible thermodynamics. It is an ideal engine that represents the maximum efficiency that any heat engine can achieve.

2. How does a Carnot engine work?

A Carnot engine consists of two isothermal and two adiabatic processes. The engine takes in heat from a high-temperature reservoir and performs work by expanding the gas in the engine, then releases heat to a low-temperature reservoir. This process is then repeated to create a cycle.

3. Why is methane used in a Carnot engine?

Methane is used as a fuel in a Carnot engine because it is a highly efficient and clean-burning fuel. It also has a high energy density and is readily available, making it a practical choice for use in engines.

4. What is the efficiency of a Carnot engine using methane?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine using methane is dependent on the temperature of the high-temperature and low-temperature reservoirs. According to the Carnot efficiency formula, the maximum efficiency of the engine is equal to (T1-T2)/T1, where T1 is the temperature of the high-temperature reservoir and T2 is the temperature of the low-temperature reservoir.

5. What are the practical applications of a Carnot engine using methane?

Carnot engines using methane have various practical applications, including power generation, refrigeration, and air conditioning. They can also be used as a model to study the thermodynamic efficiency of real engines and to improve the efficiency of existing engines.