How Is Displacement Solved in This Differential Equation?

In summary, the conversation discussed an equation for displacement involving a spring and a slider. The equation was derived using the arcsin function and was solved for displacement using trigonometric identities. The conversation also mentioned the similarity to solving for theta in other equations.
LeDragonian
It has been a while since I was involved with my differential equations. I am a mech student. I was trying out a sample problem from the dynamics book and came upon this equation.

k = some constant of proportionality for a spring pushing back a spring mounted slider.

(1/k) arcsin(ks/v_0) = t --> becomes s = (v_0/k) sin(kt)

which is an expression for displacement. I want to know how it is solved for displacement s.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have an equation like ##arcsint=a## you can write it ##sina=t## here
(1/k) arcsin(ks/v0)=t
arcsin(ks/v0)=tk
then here apply what I did then we get
sin(tk)=ks/v0
then simply s is ;
sin(tk)v0/k=s

Likes LeDragonian
Quarlep said:
If you have an equation like ##arcsint=a## you can write it ##sina=t## here
(1/k) arcsin(ks/v0)=t
arcsin(ks/v0)=tk
then here apply what I did then we get
sin(tk)=ks/v0
then simply s is ;
sin(tk)v0/k=s
Thank you. It reminded me of when I solve for theta in some other equations and it rightly should make sense.

Related to How Is Displacement Solved in This Differential Equation?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the independent variable, the dependent variable, and the derivatives of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable.

2. Why is it important to solve differential equations?

Differential equations are important because they are used to model various physical, biological, and economic phenomena. By solving these equations, we can gain a better understanding of how these systems behave and make predictions about their future behavior.

3. What are the different methods for solving differential equations?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, integration, and using differential equation solvers. The method used depends on the type of differential equation and its complexity.

4. How do I know if my solution to a differential equation is correct?

To check if your solution to a differential equation is correct, you can plug it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use initial or boundary conditions, if given, to verify the solution. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator or software to graph the solution and compare it to the original equation.

5. Can all differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all differential equations can be solved analytically. Some equations are too complex or do not have a known solution. In these cases, numerical methods or approximation techniques may be used to find an approximate solution.