How Is Deuteron Kinetic Energy Related to Plasma Temperature in Nuclear Fusion?

In summary, the deuteron is a hydrogen isotope with one proton and one neutron. In a nuclear fusion reactor, the plasma of deuterons must be heated to about 3.01×108 in order to achieve the desired temperature. The rms speed of the deuterons can be calculated using the equations Vrms = √(3KT/m), 1/2mv2 = 3/2KT, and mVrms2/(3K) = T. The given values for K and m result in an answer of 5.9x1010K, but this does not seem to match the given rms speed of 9.0x10-2 m/s. Even at room temperature, the rms
jensgt

Homework Statement

A deuteron, , is the nucleus of a hydrogen isotope and consists of one proton and one neutron. The plasma of deuterons in a nuclear fusion reactor must be heated to about 3.01×108 . What is the rms speed of the deuterons?

What would the temperature of the plasma be if the deuterons had an rms speed equal to 9.0×10−2 ?

Homework Equations

Vrms = √(3KT/m)

1/2mv2 = 3/2KT

mVrms2/(3K) = T

The Attempt at a Solution

I went over this about 100 times before giving up. The answer I know is 5.9x1010K but even with that I can't get the answer. It is driving me sort of crazy so I figured I would ask if someone could help. The K I am using is 1.38x10-23J/K and the m is 3.34x10-27kg

help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use units, please. In what unit the rms speed has to be 9.0×10−2 and temperature 3.01×108?

ehild

Speed = m/s and temp = K

Have you copied the rms speed correctly? 9.0x10-2 m/s is unrealistic. Even at room temperature, the rms speed is about 2000 m/s for the deuteron.

ehild

Hello, it looks like you are trying to calculate the temperature of the plasma in a nuclear fusion reactor based on the rms speed of the deuterons. This is a common application of the kinetic theory of gases. Let's break down the problem into smaller steps.

First, we need to calculate the rms speed of the deuterons using the given information. We can use the formula Vrms = √(3KT/m), where K is the Boltzmann constant (1.38x10-23 J/K), T is the temperature in Kelvin, and m is the mass of the deuteron (3.34x10-27 kg). Plugging in the values, we get Vrms = √(3 * 1.38x10-23 * 3.01x108 / 3.34x10-27) = 7.57x105 m/s.

Next, we can use the kinetic energy formula 1/2mv2 = 3/2KT to calculate the temperature of the plasma. Rearranging the equation to solve for T, we get T = mVrms2/(3K). Plugging in the values, we get T = (3.34x10-27 * (7.57x105)2) / (3 * 1.38x10-23) = 1.56x1010 K.

Finally, we can use the given rms speed of 9.0x10-2 m/s to calculate the temperature of the plasma. Plugging in this value for Vrms in the same equation, we get T = (3.34x10-27 * (9.0x10-2)2) / (3 * 1.38x10-23) = 5.9x1010 K.

I hope this helps to clarify the problem and guide you through the solution. Keep in mind that the temperature of the plasma is a very high value, as expected in a nuclear fusion reactor. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

Related to How Is Deuteron Kinetic Energy Related to Plasma Temperature in Nuclear Fusion?

What is molecular kinetic energy?

Molecular kinetic energy is the energy that is associated with the random motion of molecules. It is a form of thermal energy and is directly related to temperature.

How is molecular kinetic energy related to temperature?

As temperature increases, the molecules in a substance move faster, resulting in an increase in molecular kinetic energy. Likewise, as temperature decreases, the molecules move slower and have less kinetic energy.

What factors affect the amount of molecular kinetic energy in a substance?

The amount of molecular kinetic energy in a substance is affected by its mass, temperature, and the speed at which its molecules are moving.

What is the difference between molecular kinetic energy and potential energy?

Molecular kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy that is stored due to an object's position or state. In other words, molecular kinetic energy is related to the movement of molecules, while potential energy is related to the arrangement of molecules.

How is molecular kinetic energy important in understanding chemical reactions?

Molecular kinetic energy plays a crucial role in chemical reactions as it determines the energy required for molecules to react and form new compounds. The higher the molecular kinetic energy, the more likely a reaction is to occur. It also helps scientists understand the rate of reactions and the distribution of energy within a system.