How Is Charge Density Calculated in Coaxial Cables?

In summary, a coaxial cable charge density is the amount of electric charge per unit length of the inner conductor in a coaxial cable, measured in coulombs per meter (C/m). It can be calculated by dividing the total charge on the inner conductor by its length. The charge density affects the electric field distribution, capacitance, and impedance of the cable. The material of the inner conductor can also impact the charge density, with higher conductivity materials allowing for a higher charge density. The charge density can be changed by altering the total charge or length of the inner conductor, but is typically designed to be constant for optimal cable performance.
v_pino

Homework Statement

I have attached the question as a pdf.

Homework Equations

I'm thinking that we take the line integral of voltage to get electric field. But I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Is the line integral from a to b? Also, how do I get the charge density having found the electric field?

Also, do I need to consider the dielectric in this part of the question?

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• coaxial.pdf
    41.5 KB · Views: 277
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you compute the capacitance per unit length between the inner & outer conductors?

Related to How Is Charge Density Calculated in Coaxial Cables?

1. What is a coaxial cable charge density?

A coaxial cable charge density refers to the amount of electric charge per unit length of the inner conductor in a coaxial cable. It is measured in coulombs per meter (C/m).

2. How is coaxial cable charge density calculated?

The coaxial cable charge density can be calculated by dividing the total charge on the inner conductor by its length. This can be expressed as Q/L, where Q is the charge and L is the length of the inner conductor.

3. What is the significance of coaxial cable charge density?

The charge density in a coaxial cable is important because it affects the electric field distribution within the cable. A higher charge density can lead to a higher electric field, which can cause signal distortion and loss. It also affects the capacitance and impedance of the cable.

4. How does the material of the inner conductor affect the charge density?

The material of the inner conductor can affect the charge density in a coaxial cable. Materials with higher conductivity, such as copper, can allow for a higher charge density compared to materials with lower conductivity, such as aluminum. This is because a higher conductivity allows for better flow of electric charge.

5. Can the charge density in a coaxial cable be changed?

Yes, the charge density in a coaxial cable can be changed by altering the total charge or the length of the inner conductor. It can also be affected by external factors such as the surrounding environment and temperature. However, the charge density is typically designed to be constant for optimal cable performance.