How Is Angular Frequency Calculated for a Plank Supported by a Spring?

In summary, a uniform plank of mass 2.0kg and length 1.0m is oscillating in a horizontal plane, supported by a spring with a spring constant of 1000 N/m. The angular frequency of the oscillations can be calculated using the formula T=(2*3.14(I/mgr)^(1/2)), where I is the moment of inertia of a uniform rod about its end and r is the distance from the center of mass. In this case, the angular frequency is 39s^-1.
kkred
A uniform plank of mass 2.0kg and length 1.0m is pivoted at one end
in a horizontal plane. It is supported at the other end by a spring with
k = 1000 N/m . What is the angular frequency of small oscillations? It m
may interest you to know that the moment of inertia of a uniform rod about its end is 1/3*M(L^2) where M is the mass and L is the length.

Tried to find Angular frequency by using angular momentum but I didn't find a suitable way to do it. Any suggestions?

The answer is 39s^-1

Physics news on Phys.org
use T=(2*3.14(I/mgr)^(1/2))
r is the distance from center of mass
Then inverse T to calculate the value of f.

. To find the angular frequency, we can use the formula for simple harmonic motion: ω = √(k/I), where ω is the angular frequency, k is the spring constant, and I is the moment of inertia. In this problem, the moment of inertia can be calculated using the given information as I = (1/3)*M*L^2 = (1/3)*2kg*(1m)^2 = 2/3 kgm^2. Plugging in the values, we get ω = √(1000 N/m / 2/3 kgm^2) = √(1500 s^-2) = 39s^-1. This is the angular frequency of small oscillations of the plank.

Related to How Is Angular Frequency Calculated for a Plank Supported by a Spring?

1. What is angular frequency?

Angular frequency is a measure of how quickly an object rotates or oscillates around a central point, expressed in radians per second. It is denoted by the symbol ω (lowercase omega) and is equal to the frequency of rotation multiplied by 2π.

2. How is angular frequency calculated?

The angular frequency can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement (in radians) by the time taken for that displacement. It can also be calculated from the period (T) of rotation using the formula ω = 2π/T.

3. What is the relationship between angular frequency and linear velocity?

Angular frequency and linear velocity are directly proportional to each other. This means that as one increases, the other also increases. The relationship between the two is given by the formula v = ωr, where v is linear velocity, ω is angular frequency, and r is the radius of the rotating object.

4. How is angular frequency used in real-life applications?

Angular frequency is used in various real-life applications, such as measuring the speed of spinning objects, analyzing the vibrations of objects, and understanding the behavior of waves. It is also used in engineering and physics to calculate the natural frequency of systems and to design machines and structures that can withstand certain frequencies of rotation.

5. What is the difference between angular frequency and regular frequency?

The main difference between angular frequency and regular frequency is the unit of measurement. While regular frequency is measured in Hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second, angular frequency is measured in radians per second. Additionally, regular frequency is used to describe linear motion, while angular frequency is used to describe rotational or oscillatory motion.