How is an electric motor's power rating defined?

In summary, the program was offering motors that were three to four times the size of what would be necessary for the 10 watt load. This made no sense to me, so I investigated and found that the torque required was high, and that only high powered motors could handle the current.
tomizzo
So, I'm not an expert on electric motors. I have yet to take a formal class on electric motors. But I am however in a position where I'm required to size a couple electric motors for a project.

I've been using software that is supposed to help size motors depending on the application and I recently came across something that I can't explain.

Specifially, I found the amount of power that was required to move a mechanical load. This ended up being around 10 Watts. However, this load had a high torque but moved rather slowly which is what lead to the low calculated power. But when I tried finding a suitable motor, the program was offering motor solutions of 3 to 4 kWs.

This made no sense to me. Why would a 10 Watt load require such a high powered motor? I then realized that because the torque was so high, this meant there would be a large current associated with it. I interpretted this as if only high powered motors could handle this high of current, so that's why I was bumped into that range.

But I'm still not happy with this answer. Could anyone explain this to me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are 3 big things I'm aware of. Voltage limit, current limit, and the amount of magnetic material. The max voltage is typically determined by the insulation on the wires. When voltage gets too high, it breaks down the insulation and jumps from wire to wire, burning up your motor in the process. The current limit is primarily affected by how much heat the windings can take. More current means a lot more heat that needs to be dissipated. So essentially these two, voltage protection and heat dissipation are the big ones. Also note that this means electric motors can often be run past their current rating for short periods of time, and you can water cool a motor to increase the current it can handle.

The third big limitation is how much raw magnetic material is in the motor. Motors work by converting electrical energy into magnetic flux, then from flux into mechanical motion. But the magnetic material can only absorb a certain amount of flux before it is saturated. Excess flux is wasted and won't have any contribution to mechanic power. Flux is directly tied to torque, so the greater your need for torque the bigger the motor is going to be.

I've been using software that is supposed to help size motors depending on the application...But when I tried finding a suitable motor, the program was offering motor solutions of 3 to 4 kWs. [for a 10 w load}

Classic case of blind trust in a computer program : "Garbage in Gospel out".
Thank goodness you have common sense - some folks would've ordered the multi horsepower motor.

hp = 2 pi X torque(ft-lbs) X rpm / 33,000

If that motor sizing program is giving preposterous results figure out which of the terms it's not getting right. You haven't said a thing about it. Does it expect you to account for external reduction by gears or belt ?

old jim

MrSparkle said:
There are 3 big things I'm aware of. Voltage limit, current limit, and the amount of magnetic material. The max voltage is typically determined by the insulation on the wires. When voltage gets too high, it breaks down the insulation and jumps from wire to wire, burning up your motor in the process. The current limit is primarily affected by how much heat the windings can take. More current means a lot more heat that needs to be dissipated. So essentially these two, voltage protection and heat dissipation are the big ones. Also note that this means electric motors can often be run past their current rating for short periods of time, and you can water cool a motor to increase the current it can handle.

The third big limitation is how much raw magnetic material is in the motor. Motors work by converting electrical energy into magnetic flux, then from flux into mechanical motion. But the magnetic material can only absorb a certain amount of flux before it is saturated. Excess flux is wasted and won't have any contribution to mechanic power. Flux is directly tied to torque, so the greater your need for torque the bigger the motor is going to be.

So in the case I listed, do you think the torque required would require a certain amount of current only available in larger powered motors? Thus the reason a smaller motor wouldn't work? Simulation results showed that the smaller motors could handle the amount of current without a gearbox.

Other than that, thank you for your explanation.

for your situation, I think you are more limited by the flux saturation than the current. Either way, you need gearing.

Related to How is an electric motor's power rating defined?

1. What is the definition of power rating in an electric motor?

The power rating of an electric motor refers to the maximum amount of power that it can produce and sustain over a period of time.

2. How is the power rating of an electric motor measured?

The power rating of an electric motor is typically measured in watts (W) or horsepower (hp). This measurement is based on the motor's ability to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.

3. What factors affect the power rating of an electric motor?

The power rating of an electric motor is affected by various factors, including the motor's design, size, voltage, and efficiency. The quality of the materials used in the motor also plays a significant role.

4. Can an electric motor's power rating change over time?

Yes, an electric motor's power rating can change over time due to wear and tear, changes in operating conditions, or modifications to the motor. Regular maintenance and proper usage can help maintain the motor's power rating.

5. How does the power rating of an electric motor impact its performance?

The power rating of an electric motor directly affects its performance, as a higher power rating means the motor can produce more torque and operate at higher speeds. This allows the motor to handle heavier loads and perform more efficiently.