How Is a Salesperson's Wage Calculated Based on Sales?

In summary, a linear equation is a mathematical equation that represents a straight line on a graph. It is written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. The slope measures the steepness of the line, while the y-intercept is the point where the line crosses the y-axis. Linear equations are commonly used in algebra and can be solved using various methods such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. They are useful in modeling real-world situations and making predictions based on data.
nycmathguy
Homework Statement
Write a linear equation for the monthly wages in terms of monthly sales.
Relevant Equations
y = mx + b
A pharmaceutical salesperson receives a monthly salary of $5000 plus a commission of
7% of sales. Write a linear equation for the salesperson’s monthly wage W in terms of monthly sales S.

I will let W(S) = monthly wage W in terms of monthly sales S.

$5000 plus a commission of 7% of sales =
5000 + 0.07S.

We now put it all together:

W(S) = 5000 + 0.07S

You say?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Likes nycmathguy

Related to How Is a Salesperson's Wage Calculated Based on Sales?

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is a mathematical expression that represents a straight line on a graph. It is written in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do I write a linear equation?

To write a linear equation, you need to identify the slope and y-intercept of the line. Then, substitute these values into the equation y = mx + b. You can also use two points on the line to find the slope and y-intercept.

3. What is the slope of a linear equation?

The slope of a linear equation is a measure of the steepness of the line. It is represented by the letter m and is calculated by dividing the change in y-coordinates by the change in x-coordinates of any two points on the line.

4. How do I find the y-intercept of a linear equation?

The y-intercept of a linear equation is the point where the line crosses the y-axis. It is represented by the letter b and can be found by substituting the x-coordinate of any point on the line into the equation y = mx + b.

5. What are some real-life applications of linear equations?

Linear equations are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and business to model and solve problems involving linear relationships. For example, they can be used to calculate the cost of producing goods, predict the growth of a population, or design a bridge.