How high will the piston rise if its temperature is increased?

In summary: The pressure rises until it reaches the final pressure, then it stays at that pressure.The final pressure is Pi Vi.
kagnaroos

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7498/thermo.jpg

A cylinder is closed by a massless piston of cross sectional area A which is connected to a spring of constant k. With the spring relaxed, the cylinder is filled with a gas. The initial pressure, volume and temperature are Pi Vi and Ti. How high will the piston rise if its temperature is increased to a final value of Tf?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find Pf and Vf.

Pf = Pi + kx/A
Vf = Vi + Ax

I then wrote the universal gas law for Pf Tf and Vf but I doubt this is correct because the equation was crazy long and complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In spite of being crazy long ad complicated, it might be correct. There were no numerical data?

ehild

Nope, only letters. Are the expressions I wrote for Pf and Vf correct?

kagnaroos said:

I then wrote the universal gas law for Pf Tf and Vf but I doubt this is correct because the equation was crazy long and complicated.
You have written out the expression for the pressure as a function of x and volume as a function of x. All you have to do is relate that, using the ideal gas law, to the change in temperature.

AM

kagnaroos said:
Nope, only letters. Are the expressions I wrote for Pf and Vf correct?

I think they are correct. But the expression for x will be really ugly. Just go ahead.

ehild

That gives a quadratic equation:

kx2 + (PiA + kVf/A)x + nR(Ti-Tf) = 0

I highly doubt this is the correct answer because this is an old exam question and impossible to do in ~10 minutes.

Well, it is not quite correct, there should be Vi instead of Vf in your term kVf/A. And you should replace nR by piVi/Ti.

Then use the formula for the solution of quadratic equations and exclude the negative root. It takes less time than 20 s.

ehild

Related to How high will the piston rise if its temperature is increased?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physical science that deals with the relationships and interconversion of different forms of energy, particularly heat and work, and how they affect the properties of matter.

2. How do you solve a thermodynamics problem?

To solve a thermodynamics problem, you must first identify the system and surroundings, and then apply the laws of thermodynamics to determine the changes in energy, work, and heat. It is important to keep track of units and use appropriate equations for the given situation.

3. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

4. Can thermodynamics be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, thermodynamics is a fundamental principle that can be applied to many real-world situations, such as power generation, refrigeration, and chemical reactions. It helps engineers and scientists understand and improve various processes and systems.

5. What are some common applications of thermodynamics?

Some common applications of thermodynamics include power plants, engines, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, chemical reactions, and material processing. It is also used in fields such as meteorology, geology, and even biology.