How High is an Object When Its Speed is 27% of Escape Velocity?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the height above the Earth's surface of a projectile that is launched with a speed equal to the escape speed and then slows down to 27% of the escape speed. The problem involves using the equation for gravitational potential energy and finding the escape velocity of an object. The concept of escape velocity is explained and it is mentioned that the initial potential energy of the object is not zero. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the initial kinetic energy and potential energy are set equal and the solution will involve finding the value of (.27v).
jcais
Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could please help me with a problem. It is regarding the law of universal gravitation, this time using conservation of mechanical energy.

We know that F = GMm/R^2

**If a projectile is launched from Earth with a speed equal to the escape speed, how high above the Earth's surface is it when its speed is 27% of the escape speed.**

I approached this problem two ways and have stopped in the middle, because I don't know how to continue. I was wondering if someone can help me find h or the height in meters.

First thing I tried:
.5mv^2 - GmM/Radius of Earth = .5mv^2 - GmM/h
0 = GmM/Radius of Earth - GmM/h goes to h = Radius of earth
I stopped here

Second thing I tried:
.5mv^2- GmM/Radius of Earth = .5m(.27v)^2- GmM/Radius of Earth + h
I do not know how to manipulate this problem to get radius of Earth + h

Thank you for your assistance!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
As we are considering energy, it is more useful to use the equation for gravitation potential;

[tex]U = -\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]

This gives the potential energy of an object on the surface. Now if the kinetic energy of an object is greater than or equal to the potential energy of an object the object will 'escape' from the gravitational field. Knowing this can you formulate an equation to find the escape velocity of an object?

I do not know what escape velocity is. Does it happen when the object is not on the Earth's surface or when the object leaves the ozone layer/atmosphere and is in space?

Thank you!

**If a projectile is launched from Earth with a speed equal to the escape speed, how high above the Earth's surface is it when its speed is 27% of the escape speed.**
I am thinking that this means that when the object is launched from Earth it leaves the Earth's atmosphere and enters space. To do this its speed must equal the escape speed.
So, if its speed is only 27% of the escape speed, then the object has not entered space yet. It is still in the Earth's atmosphere/realm. I don't know what you call it. So, I guess I want to find the height of the object because it has not reached space yet. So, it hasn't "escaped Earth" yet. I feel really really stupid to have had to write all of this out. I feel like Physics brings the dumbness out of me b/c it takes a long time for me to digest the math/concepts.

Anyway back on track, so I have the KE and PE of the object initially and after written above. I don't know why there is conservation of ME. Does anyone know why?
I do not know if the object has any PE or KE on in the Earth's realm. It technically is not on the surface anymore b/c there is some height we have to find, so the PE and KE initial must be nonzero. There should also be some PE and KE final because the object is moving higher and faster I suppose.

So, I do not think we can get rid of PE nor KE in our equation of conservation of ME.

Last edited:
Escape velocity is the minimum initial velocity required to 'overcome' the Earth's gravitational pull. I'll start you off with an equation. As I said above "if the kinetic energy of an object is greater than or equal to the potential energy of an object the object will 'escape' from the gravitational field".

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]

Do you follow?
Can you find an equation for the escape velocity from here?

-Hoot:smile:

jcais said:
I do not know what escape velocity is. Does it happen when the object is not on the Earth's surface or when the object leaves the ozone layer/atmosphere and is in space?

Thank you!

No. It is a theoretical concept. Imagine that the Earth was at rest, imagine that there is no atmosphere. The escape speed is the initial speed such that an object will barely make it to an infinite distance (barely means that it will reach an infinite distance with a speed going toward zero...strictly speaking, it would take an infinite amount of time to reach infinity).

So, by its definition,

[itex] { 1 \over 2} m v_{escape}^2 - {G m M \over R_{Earth}} = {1 \over 2} m v_{infinity}^2 - {G m M \over r = \infty} = 0 [/itex]

So you can solve for the escape speed (by the way, if you set the escape speed to the speed of light, let R be an unknown and solve R, you get the radius of the event horizon of a Schwarzschild black hole!)

Patrick

nrqed said:
So you can solve for the escape speed (by the way, if you set the escape speed to the speed of light, let R be an unknown and solve R, you get the radius of the event horizon of a Schwarzschild black hole!)

Patrick

Cool, I didn't know that :biggrin:

Why is the initial PE of the object 0?

Is the final KE of the object a nonzero number?

Thank you for your help.

I also edited my message up there.:smile:

Hmmm.. I am really dumb, this I know.

So, I am inferring that there is 0 final PE and 0 final KE from the posts above. I don't know why.

So initial KE and inital PE are set to equal each other. And, I guess I will solve for (.27v) because there is 27% of the velocity.

If I am right, thank you all for your help.

jcais said:
Why is the initial PE of the object 0?

Is the final KE of the object a nonzero number?

Thank you for your help.

I also edited my message up there.:smile:

The initial PE is not zero it is given by;

[tex]U = \frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]

What do you mean by the final KE?

jcais said:
So initial KE and inital PE are set to equal each other. And, I guess I will solve for (.27v) because there is 27% of the velocity.

Yes you are correct :smile:

What do you mean by the final KE?[/QUOTE]

The .5mv^2 on the second side of the ME eqn. I guess the final velocity of the object when it exits the field of the Earth and enters space. I guess I am wrong. The object must have infinite KE not final KE I suppose or a 0 KE. I don't know.

Hootenanny said:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]
:

Can I get height from this equation? Will it be the r?

Thank you for your assistance.

jcais said:
The .5mv^2 on the second side of the ME eqn. I guess the final velocity of the object when it exits the field of the Earth and enters space. I guess I am wrong. The object must have infinite KE not final KE I suppose or a 0 KE. I don't know.

When the object is an infinite distance away from the Earth it will have a KE of zero if it was launched at the escape velocity.

More information is available here, you can peruse at your leisure:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/gpot.html#gpt

Remeber to find the distance when v is 27% you will first have to find the escape velocity, then find 27% of that velocity, then solve for r. Remember r is the distance from the centre of mass of the Earth so you need to subtract the radius of the Earth to find the height.

-Hoot :smile:

Last edited:
Wow thank you.
You are very kind and helpful. I am going to look at my problem now. I have about 3 different sketches/equations to look at and see where I went wrong. I have to log off now b/c the lab is closing.

jcais said:
Wow thank you.
You are very kind and helpful. I am going to look at my problem now. I have about 3 different sketches/equations to look at and see where I went wrong. I have to log off now b/c the lab is closing.

No problem. If you have any further problems I hope you'll come back to PF!

-Hoot:smile:

jcais said:
Of course not!
So, I am inferring that there is 0 final PE and 0 final KE from the posts above. I don't know why.

If I am right, thank you all for your help.

I think you understand by now...but by the definition of the escape velocity, the object will reach an infinite distance with a kinetic energy equal to zero. And at an infinite distance the potential energy is zero.

The starting point is at the surface of the Earth. So you can find the escape velocity in terms of the radius of the Earth, its mass and G.

Pat

Related to How High is an Object When Its Speed is 27% of Escape Velocity?

What is the Law of Universal Gravitation?

The Law of Universal Gravitation is a physical law discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. It states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How does the Law of Universal Gravitation affect objects on Earth?

The Law of Universal Gravitation explains why objects on Earth are pulled towards the center of the planet. The mass of the Earth creates a gravitational force that attracts objects towards it. This is what keeps us from floating off into space.

What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to the Law of Universal Gravitation?

Mass is a measurement of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measurement of the force exerted on an object due to gravity. The Law of Universal Gravitation applies to both mass and weight, as heavier objects have a greater gravitational force and will be attracted to other objects with more force.

Does the Law of Universal Gravitation apply to all objects in the universe?

Yes, the Law of Universal Gravitation applies to all objects in the universe, regardless of their size or distance from each other. However, the force of gravity between two objects decreases as the distance between them increases, so the effects may not be noticeable for objects that are very far apart.

How does the Law of Universal Gravitation relate to other laws of physics?

The Law of Universal Gravitation is one of the four fundamental forces in the universe, along with the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, and electromagnetism. It is also related to Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains the role of gravity in the fabric of space and time.