How High Does a Ball Go When Thrown Upward at 25m/s?

In summary, the vertical motion of a ball is influenced by various factors such as initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the force of gravity. The mass of the ball does not directly affect its vertical motion, but can impact its trajectory due to inertia and air resistance. External forces, such as air resistance and wind, can also affect the vertical motion of a ball. Over time, the ball follows a parabolic path with an initial acceleration due to gravity, reaching a maximum height, and then decelerating back to the ground. The duration of this motion depends on the initial velocity and launch angle of the ball.
JBemp

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown stright up with the speed 25m/s
how high does the ball go?

Homework Equations

S=v*t or V=vot+at
I know gravity is a neg acceloration so I should have -9.81 somewhere

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find the time first am guessing so, T=s/v but i don't know S ether just 25m/s and -9.81 I know this is most likly very simple but it just eludes me

Physics news on Phys.org

Based on the given information, the ball is thrown with an initial velocity of 25m/s and experiences a constant acceleration due to gravity of -9.81m/s^2. To find the height the ball reaches, we can use the equation h = vo*t + (1/2)at^2, where h is the height, vo is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration. Since the ball is thrown straight up, we can take the initial velocity to be positive 25m/s and the acceleration to be negative -9.81m/s^2.

To find the time, we can use the equation t = (vf - vo)/a, where vf is the final velocity (which is 0 since the ball reaches its highest point and then falls back down) and vo is the initial velocity. Plugging in the values, we get t = (0 - 25)/(-9.81) = 2.55 seconds.

Now, using the time we calculated, we can find the height by plugging in the values in the first equation. h = (25)(2.55) + (1/2)(-9.81)(2.55)^2 = 31.9 meters. Therefore, the ball reaches a height of approximately 31.9 meters before falling back down.

Related to How High Does a Ball Go When Thrown Upward at 25m/s?

1. How does vertical motion affect the trajectory of a ball?

The vertical motion of a ball refers to its movement in the up and down direction, which is affected by the force of gravity. As the ball is thrown or dropped, it will follow a curved path due to the constant pull of gravity, resulting in a parabolic trajectory.

2. What factors influence the vertical motion of a ball?

The vertical motion of a ball is influenced by several factors, including the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the height, speed, and distance the ball will travel in its vertical motion.

3. How does the mass of a ball affect its vertical motion?

The mass of a ball does not directly affect its vertical motion, as all objects experience the same acceleration due to gravity regardless of their mass. However, a heavier ball may have a slightly different trajectory due to its increased inertia and resistance to air resistance.

4. Can the vertical motion of a ball be affected by external forces?

Yes, the vertical motion of a ball can be affected by external forces such as air resistance or wind. These forces can alter the trajectory of the ball and cause it to deviate from its expected path.

5. How does the vertical motion of a ball change over time?

The vertical motion of a ball changes over time as it follows a parabolic path. Initially, the ball will accelerate due to the force of gravity, then reach its maximum height before decelerating and falling back to the ground. The time it takes for the ball to complete this motion is dependent on its initial velocity and launch angle.