How frequency domain topic should be taught in the academic course?

In summary, Fourier transforms, Laplace transforms, and other concepts in the frequency domain can be difficult to understand in a spatial or time domain, but are much easier to understand when studied in this way.
ramdas
This is a soft question but I think it's a real fact.The Frequency domain has made revolution in the field of Mathematics,Physics,Digital Signal and image Processing etc. Some of concepts
which are very difficult to analyse in
spatial or time domain can be very easily understood in the frequency domain using the theorems like Fourier transform &series, wavelets ,Laplace transform etc.But my experience is that when it is being taught in the academic curriculum or course, it is not given as much importance as it has to be. Most of the teachers or professors don't know how teach this topic and students like us get hardly any knowledge about the frequency domain in academic course compared to discussions in the forum like the very useful

https://www.physicsforums.comSo I am requesting the scholars, eminent professors and researchers to give some guidelines or explanation so that students as well as teachers get to know how frequency domain topic should be studied and taught in the academic curriculum. And all of us would study this topic with interest.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
ramdas said:
But my experience is that when it is being taught in the academic curriculum or course, it is not given as much importance as it has to be. Most of the teachers or professors don't know how teach this topic and students like us get hardly any knowledge about the frequency domain in academic course compared to discussions in the forum like the very useful
It is too bad that the way you were taught Fourier/Laplace/etc. didn't work for you. As you say, it is an important topic. I am curious what your academic background is (your major, etc.) , and how you were taught the subject. Was it a full year class, a one semester/quarter class, or just part of one class?

I am an electrical engineer in the US and adequately learned these topics (with the exception of wavelets) from a more-or-less standard "signals and systems" course required of all EEs. For me, a mixture of doing pencil and paper work (including sketching signals in time and frequency domains), and using MATLAB to calculate and plot examples was useful. Knowing the basic theorems and using them to understand how things work really helped as well: here I am thinking about a shift in the time domain being equivalent to a phase ramp in the frequency domain, etc.

jason

Well,I am doing under graduation in 4
years Electronics and Telecommunication
Engineering .We have semester pattern
system (2 semesters in 1 year).In the 3rd
semester, We have subject named
"Signals and Systems" under which the
above topic is covered.

Most of the teachers or professors don't know how teach this topic. They teach with the help of readymade PowerPoint presentations (e.g. for Laplace transform, single PPT which is mostly downloaded from
internet )and sometimes they take chalk
in their hand .So the students like us get
hardly any knowledge about the frequency
domain in academic course .

jasonRF said:
It is too bad that the way you were taught Fourier/Laplace/etc. didn't work for you. As you say, it is an important topic. I am curious what your academic background is (your major, etc.) , and how you were taught the subject. Was it a full year class, a one semester/quarter class, or just part of one class?

I am an electrical engineer in the US and adequately learned these topics (with the exception of wavelets) from a more-or-less standard "signals and systems" course required of all EEs. For me, a mixture of doing pencil and paper work (including sketching signals in time and frequency domains), and using MATLAB to calculate and plot examples was useful. Knowing the basic theorems and using them to understand how things work really helped as well: here I am thinking about a shift in the time domain being equivalent to a phase ramp in the frequency domain, etc.

jason
Sir I have added some information.please go through it.

Related to How frequency domain topic should be taught in the academic course?

1. What is the purpose of teaching frequency domain in an academic course?

The purpose of teaching frequency domain in an academic course is to provide students with an understanding of how signals and systems can be analyzed and manipulated in the frequency domain. This is essential for many fields of science and engineering, such as communication systems, signal processing, and control systems.

2. How is frequency domain different from time domain?

The time domain refers to the representation of signals and systems in the form of amplitude versus time. The frequency domain, on the other hand, represents signals and systems in terms of amplitude versus frequency. This allows for a different perspective and understanding of signals and systems, as well as different analysis and manipulation techniques.

3. What are the key concepts that should be covered when teaching frequency domain?

The key concepts that should be covered when teaching frequency domain include Fourier series, Fourier transform, frequency response, convolution, and filtering. These concepts provide a foundation for understanding how signals and systems behave in the frequency domain and how they can be manipulated for various applications.

4. Are there any real-world applications of frequency domain analysis?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of frequency domain analysis. Some examples include audio and image processing, wireless communication systems, medical imaging, and control systems for power grids and industrial processes. Understanding frequency domain concepts is essential for designing and implementing these technologies.

5. How can students effectively learn about frequency domain in an academic course?

To effectively learn about frequency domain in an academic course, students should have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts such as calculus, differential equations, and complex numbers. They should also have access to software tools for visualizing and analyzing signals and systems in the frequency domain. Hands-on activities and real-world examples can also enhance the learning experience.