How Fast Must the Hammer Move to Ring the Bell at the Carnival?

In summary, to ring the bell at a carnival, a 9.00 kg hammer must be moving at a speed of sqrt(8*0.400*9.80*5.00) = 13.12 m/s. This is calculated using the formula v = sqrt(8Mg(hf-h0)/ m), where M represents the mass of the hammer, m represents the mass of the metal piece, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and hf and h0 represent the final and initial heights of the metal piece, respectively.
Parzival

Homework Statement

At a carnival, you can try to ring a bell by striking a target with a 9.00 kg hammer. In response, a 0.400 kg metal piece is sent upward toward the bell, which is 5.00 m above. Suppose that 25.0% of the hammer's kinetic energy is used to do the work of sending the metal piece upward. How fast must the hammer be moving when it strikes the target so that the bell just barely rings?

Homework Equations

W = final mechanical energy - initial mechanical energy

1/2m*final velocity^2 + mg*finalheight = 1/2m*initial velocity^2 + mg*initial height

Conservation of mechanical energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting up an equation using the second given equation, but unfortunately there are too many variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start simple, how much energy will it take to raise 0.4 kg mass to a height of 5 m?

What is the expression for KE?

rock.freak667 said:
Start simple, how much energy will it take to raise 0.4 kg mass to a height of 5 m?

What is the expression for KE?

KE = 1/2mv^2;

or KE = mg(hf - h0)

Parzival said:
KE = 1/2mv^2;

or KE = mg(hf - h0)

Right but they said that 25% of the hammer's KE is used to do the work, so how should you incorporate this into the equation?

rock.freak667 said:
Right but they said that 25% of the hammer's KE is used to do the work, so how should you incorporate this into the equation?

KE = 1/8mv^2

or KE = 1/4mg(hf-h0)

Parzival said:
KE = 1/8mv^2

Correct.

So now you have 1/8mv2=Mg(hf-h0)

You know m, M,g, hf and h0, solve for v.

rock.freak667 said:
Correct.

So now you have 1/8mv2=Mg(hf-h0)

You know m, M,g, hf and h0, solve for v.

So: v^2 = 8mMg(hf - h0)

v = sqrt(8mMg(hf-h0))

but what is h0? Do I assume it is 0 m?

And there are two masses: the 0.400 kg one and the 9.00 kg one.

Parzival said:
So: v^2 = 8mMg(hf - h0)

Recheck your algebra on this one, you will need to divide by something.

Parzival said:
but what is h0? Do I assume it is 0 m?

Yes it is zero.

Parzival said:
And there are two masses: the 0.400 kg one and the 9.00 kg one.

Right, which mass has the kinetic energy? Which mass will have the potential energy gain?

rock.freak667 said:
Recheck your algebra on this one, you will need to divide by something.

Yes it is zero.

Right, which mass has the kinetic energy? Which mass will have the potential energy gain?

Sorry, I failed miserably. The equation is

sqrt(8Mg(hf-h0)/ m)

Let me guess. Plug in the numbers; then, multiply this by four to get the original KE, and then solve for the final velocity.

Parzival said:
Sorry, I failed miserably. The equation is

sqrt(8Mg(hf-h0)/ m)

Let me guess. Plug in the numbers; then, multiply this by four to get the original KE, and then solve for the final velocity.

Well you already have the formula for the final velocity v.

[tex]v = \sqrt{\frac{8Mg(h_f -h_0)}{m}}[/tex]

So just input all the numbers.

Sorry, I forget. What does capital M represent? I know lowercase m represents the mass, right?

Parzival said:
Sorry, I forget. What does capital M represent? I know lowercase m represents the mass, right?

Both are mass. One is just the mass of the hammer and the other is the mass of the piece of metal.

Related to How Fast Must the Hammer Move to Ring the Bell at the Carnival?

1. What is work-energy kinematics?

Work-energy kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationship between work, energy, and motion. It involves studying the forces acting on an object and how they affect its movement.

2. How is work related to energy?

Work is directly related to energy, as work is defined as the transfer of energy from one form to another. When work is done on an object, energy is transferred to that object, resulting in a change in its motion.

3. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy possessed by a moving object due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Both forms of energy are important in work-energy kinematics as they often change and affect an object's motion.

4. How do you calculate work in a work-energy kinematics problem?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The unit for work is joules (J).

5. Can you explain the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that when work is done on an object, its kinetic energy will change by the same amount. This theorem is a fundamental principle in work-energy kinematics and is often used to solve problems involving work and energy.