How Fast Does the Ladder Angle Change as It Slides Away?

In summary, the conversation was about related rates and the problem of finding the rate of change of the angle between a ladder and the ground as the bottom of the ladder slides away from a vertical wall. The participants discussed setting up a graph and equation for the problem, and one person struggled with taking the derivative. They eventually solved the problem by finding the value of theta and plugging it into the equation for the derivative.
d.smith292
A ladder 10 ft long rests against a vertical wall. If the bottom of the ladder slides away from the wall at a rate of 1.0 ft/s, how fast is the angle between the ladder and the ground changing when the bottom of the ladder is 8 ft from the wall?

So, I'm having a difficult time figuring out related rates. I have grasped derivatives just fine, but developing the diagram and labeling seem to be my problems.
I’ve set up my graph like this:
8520534293_a6c56d1919.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23826260@N04/8520534293/ by d.smith292, on Flickr

θ is my changing rate in this problem. I've set my equation up like this :

x = 8ft
x' = 1ft/sec

cosθ = x/10

When I differentiate the problem I get

-sinθ = 1/10(x')

When I input this into my calculator I get some crazy long decimal answer, like -.1001674212 Where am I going wrong. I've probably got the entire thing wrong. I'm having trouble with this section. I appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
d.smith292 said:

-sinθ = 1/10(x')

On the left hand side you should have
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t} \cos\theta
= (- \sin\theta) \frac{\mathrm{d}\theta}{\mathrm{d}t}
[/tex]

d.smith292 said:
A ladder 10 ft long rests against a vertical wall. If the bottom of the ladder slides away from the wall at a rate of 1.0 ft/s, how fast is the angle between the ladder and the ground changing when the bottom of the ladder is 8 ft from the wall?

So, I'm having a difficult time figuring out related rates. I have grasped derivatives just fine, but developing the diagram and labeling seem to be my problems.
I’ve set up my graph like this:
8520534293_a6c56d1919.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23826260@N04/8520534293/ by d.smith292, on Flickr

θ is my changing rate in this problem. I've set my equation up like this :

x = 8ft
No, x is variable that depends on (is a function of) time. At a particular moment x is 8, but at other times it has different values.
d.smith292 said:
x' = 1ft/sec

cosθ = x/10

-sinθ = 1/10(x')
Not quite.
You are differentiating both sides with respect to t, so you should get
-sin(θ) dθ/dt = (1/10) dx/dt
d.smith292 said:
When I input this into my calculator I get some crazy long decimal answer, like -.1001674212 Where am I going wrong. I've probably got the entire thing wrong. I'm having trouble with this section. I appreciate the help.

OK, so I see that I wasn't taking the derivative of θ with respect to time (t). Here is where I'm at now and stuck again.

Cos θ = x/10 → (Now I take the derivative with respect to time)

(-sin θ)dθ/dt = (1/10)dx/dt

Now since the rate of change for x = 1 ft/sec I get

(-sin θ)dθ/dt = 1/10

From here I don't know if θ should equal 8/10 or 6/10. Either way I continue to get some crazy answer.

And am I even on the right track here?

d.smith292 said:
OK, so I see that I wasn't taking the derivative of θ with respect to time (t). Here is where I'm at now and stuck again.

Cos θ = x/10 → (Now I take the derivative with respect to time)

(-sin θ)dθ/dt = (1/10)dx/dt

Now since the rate of change for x = 1 ft/sec I get

(-sin θ)dθ/dt = 1/10

From here I don't know if θ should equal 8/10 or 6/10.
It's neither. It should be
[itex]\cos \theta = \frac{8}{10}[/itex].

Solve for θ, and then plug that, and dx/dt = 1, into
[itex]-\sin \theta \frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{1}{10} \frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]

and solve for dθ/dt.

So, I had everything right up until I solved for theta. I've rewritten the problem with detailed steps from the beginning so that I can remember this for future reference. Thank you.

Related to How Fast Does the Ladder Angle Change as It Slides Away?

What is related rates in mathematics?

Related rates is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another quantity. It is commonly used in calculus to solve problems involving changing quantities.

Why do students have trouble with related rates?

Students often have trouble with related rates because it involves multiple concepts in calculus, such as derivatives and implicit differentiation. It can also be challenging to visualize and set up the equations correctly.

What are some tips for solving related rates problems?

Some tips for solving related rates problems include drawing a diagram, identifying the changing quantities, and setting up equations using known relationships between the quantities. It is also helpful to label the given rates and the desired rate to be found.

Can you provide an example of a related rates problem and its solution?

Sure, here's an example: A ladder is leaning against a wall. The base of the ladder is 6 meters from the wall and is sliding away from the wall at a rate of 2 meters per second. How fast is the top of the ladder sliding down the wall when the base of the ladder is 4 meters from the wall?

First, we draw a diagram to visualize the problem. Then, we label the given rates and the desired rate to be found. In this case, the given rates are the distance from the wall (6m) and the rate of change of the distance (2m/s). The desired rate is the rate of change of the height of the ladder. Using the Pythagorean theorem, we can set up the equation: x^2 + 6^2 = h^2. Differentiating both sides with respect to time, we get: 2x(dx/dt) = 2h(dh/dt). Plugging in the given values and solving for dh/dt, we get the answer: -3 m/s. Therefore, the top of the ladder is sliding down the wall at a rate of 3 meters per second.

Are there any real-world applications of related rates?

Yes, related rates have many real-world applications, such as finding the rate at which the volume of a balloon is changing, the rate at which the water level in a tank is changing, and the rate at which the shadow of a building is changing. It is also used in engineering, physics, and economics to solve various problems involving changing quantities.