How Fast Does Temperature Rise in an Unventilated Silicon Circuit?

In summary: The equation Q=mcΔT states that the change in energy is proportional to the change in temperature. In this case, the heat flow was measured in Joules per second, so we can use this equation to calculate the change in temperature.
Pao44445

Homework Statement

A silicon electric circuit is 23 mg, when electricity flows through the circuit rising the energy by 7.4 mW but this circuit wasn't design for heat ventilation. Find the rate of how much the temperature is rising per second ( ΔT/Δt ) The specific heat of silicon is 705 J/kg.K[/B]

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that when the electricity flows through the circuit, it will rise the temperature and we can figure the change in temperature by find both initial and final temperature but what about time? how this factor get in the calculation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you express watts in terms of other SI units?

Ask not for whom the bell tolls. Ask instead "the bell's heat capacity."

DrClaude said:
Can you express watts in terms of other SI units?

Joules per second ? it is just a rate of how much energy was transfer in 1 second, I can't plug this in Q :/

Pao44445 said:
Joules per second ? it is just a rate of how much energy was transfer in 1 second, I can't plug this in Q :/
No, but you can calculate Q/Δt :smile:

DrClaude said:
No, but you can calculate Q/Δt :smile:
hmm I don't know if I am correct or not

from Q=mcΔT and ΔT/Δt
(Q/mc) / Δt = Q / (mc)Δt
7.4x10-3 J / (23x10-6kg)x(705 J/kg.K)x 1 s
= 0.46 K/s

Last edited:
Be careful with the mass there. Since you are given the heat capacity per gram, you can use g throughout and not convert to kg.

Also, I would find it more appropriate to take Q/Δt as a whole to be 7.4 mW instead of "assuming" 1 second.

DrClaude said:
Be careful with the mass there. Since you are given the heat capacity per gram, you can use g throughout and not convert to kg.

Also, I would find it more appropriate to take Q/Δt as a whole to be 7.4 mW instead of "assuming" 1 second.

edited
Then Q / (mc)Δt = W/mc
(7.4x10-3 W ) / (23x10-6kg)(705 J/kg.K)
= 0.46 K/s

but how this equation solve the problem?

Last edited:
Pao44445 said:
Then Q / (mc)Δt = Wmc
(7.4x10-3 W )(23x10-6kg)(705 J/kg.K)
= 1.2x10-4 W.J/K

but how this equation solve the problem?
You've missed a division in there.

DrClaude said:
You've missed a division in there.
oops, sorry. I've edited them and got the same answer 0.45-0.46 K/s
I think this is another pure mathematic problem :( really hate this kind of problem.

I wouldn't say that this is "pure mathematics." Actually, you need physical insight to figure out that you have information about Q/Δt. Once you figure that out, you have
$$
\frac{Q}{\Delta t} = m c \frac{\Delta T}{\Delta t}
$$
and you simply need to rearrange the equation to isolate ##{\Delta T}/{\Delta t}##, which is what you are asked for. Such simple algebra appears everywhere in physics, so you better get used to it (and good at it) :smile:

Never see that equation before :/

I don't know how come Q=mcΔT so I don't actually understand how to use it

Related to How Fast Does Temperature Rise in an Unventilated Silicon Circuit?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It explains how energy is transferred and transformed within a system, and how this affects the properties of the system.

2. What is a thermodynamics problem?

A thermodynamics problem is a question or scenario that requires the application of thermodynamic principles and equations to solve. These problems typically involve analyzing the flow of heat and energy within a system and determining its properties, such as temperature, pressure, and volume.

3. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy and heat within a system. These laws state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. They also dictate the direction and efficiency of energy transfer within a system.

4. What are the different types of thermodynamic systems?

There are three main types of thermodynamic systems: open, closed, and isolated. An open system allows both matter and energy to be exchanged with its surroundings, a closed system only allows energy to be exchanged, and an isolated system does not allow any exchange of matter or energy.

5. How do you solve a thermodynamics problem?

To solve a thermodynamics problem, you typically start by identifying the given information and the unknown variables. Then, you can apply the appropriate thermodynamic equations and principles to create an equation or system of equations to solve for the unknowns. It is important to carefully consider the units of measurement and to apply the correct sign conventions in your calculations.