How fast can a ship travel at 525 gravities in space?

• Thread starter glondor
  • Start date
In summary, the author is describing a frame of reference in which ships accelerate to a higher speed than the speed of light. This results in a very short trip from an external frame of reference, but the occupants experience a very brief period of time.
glondor
I am reading " The Honor Harrington series" by author David Weber. It is pretty cool scifi with some intricate plots and massive space battles. Thru these books the refrence used for speed has always eluded me in a "frame of refrence" sence. The ships have "accelerations" refrences in gravities. If a ship were to accelerate at 525 gravities, How fast is this? How far will it travel in an hour? a day? I have tried to sus this out but I don't have the math skills for it i guess. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
glondor said:
I am reading " The Honor Harrington series" by author David Weber. It is pretty cool scifi with some intricate plots and massive space battles. Thru these books the refrence used for speed has always eluded me in a "frame of refrence" sence. The ships have "accelerations" refrences in gravities. If a ship were to accelerate at 525 gravities, How fast is this? How far will it travel in an hour? a day? I have tried to sus this out but I don't have the math skills for it i guess. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks!
1 (earth) gravity is roughly 32 feet per second per second. 525 gravities would be around 15000 feet per second per second. That is roughly 3 miles per second per second. The formula for velocity is v = a times t, where v is velocity, a is the acceleration and t is the time. At that rate of acceleration, starting from rest, it would be going:
roughly 10000 miles / second at the end of 1 hour
roughly 240000 miles / second at the end of 1 day. That's faster than the speed of light, so that couldn't actually happen.
Any humans in the ship would be crushed. The last thing to go through their minds would be the heels of their feet.

Last edited:
Humans can only withstand several gravities (or g's) before passing out, and only a few more g's and you're dead.

500 would be something like an explosion right next to you. Maybe even worse.

Ok thanks. That is really really fast. Of course it is scifi. They have inertial compensators to deal with the splat factor. fwiw this is the slow mode of their ships. When they are in the Hyper bands they can cover 37 lightyears in 5 days...lol I love science fiction!

Yes, collisions are measured in hundreds or thousands of g's. So a ship that accelerates at 525g's would effectively be colliding with a planet continuously for an hour or a day.

The upshot of this acceleration is that the ship will very rapidly reach within a very large fraction of c (and getting closer all the time) and spend almost the entire trip there.

At this speed, a trip of 20 light years will take, like, 20 years + 1 day (or more rigorosly, a round-tip of 20 light years will take about 40 years + 2 days) from an external frame of reference.

Note that no amount of acceleration will shorten the duration of the trip from an external frame of reference to less than 40 years.

However the occupants will only experience a VERY short passage of time - something on the order of days to weeks.

But every time they took a vacation on Gliese 581c and came back, the Earth would be 40 years older!

Last edited:
If you really want to see what relativistic travel can do, read Joe Haldeman's 'The Forever War'.

How do you cope with returning to an Earth that's a thousand years older than when you left? And how do you keep a relationship together when your partner isn't coming home for another two lifetimes?

Of course, it's actually about a war, so lot's of battlesuit infantry stuff.

Related to How fast can a ship travel at 525 gravities in space?

What is the purpose of "A math question if I may."?

The purpose of "A math question if I may." is to ask for help in solving a math problem.

Can I post any type of math question on "A math question if I may."?

Yes, "A math question if I may." is open to all types of math questions, as long as they follow the community guidelines and are relevant to the topic.

How quickly can I expect a response to my math question on "A math question if I may."?

The response time varies depending on the complexity of the math question and the availability of users who can help. It is recommended to be patient and not expect an immediate response.

Can I answer or comment on other people's math questions on "A math question if I may."?

Yes, "A math question if I may." is a community platform where users can both ask and answer math questions. You can also leave comments on other people's questions to provide additional clarification or insights.

Is "A math question if I may." a reliable source for solving math problems?

While "A math question if I may." provides a platform for asking and answering math questions, it is always recommended to double-check and verify the answers obtained from any online source. It is also important to show your work and explain the steps taken to solve the problem, rather than just relying on the answer given.