How Fast Can a Car Hit a Spring Bumper Without Damage?

In summary, a solid 1000kg car can collide with a bumper at a maximum velocity of 34 m/s without causing damage.
Smartgurl

Homework Statement

A small truck is equipped with a rear bumper that has a spring constant of 8 x 10^5 N/m. The bumper can be compressed 15 cm without causing damage to the truck. What is the maximum velocity with which a solid 1000kg car can collide with the bumper without causing damage to the truck?[/B]

Homework Equations

Ek = 1/2 mv^2
El = 1/2 kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I made these two equations equal to each other and got the answer 4.2 m/s. The right answer is 34 m/s. I'm way off and not sure what I'm doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Smartgurl said:

Homework Statement

A small truck is equipped with a rear bumper that has a spring constant of 8 x 10^5 N/m. The bumper can be compressed 15 cm without causing damage to the truck. What is the maximum velocity with which a solid 1000kg car can collide with the bumper without causing damage to the truck?[/B]

Homework Equations

Ek = 1/2 mv^2
El = 1/2 kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I made these two equations equal to each other and got the answer 4.2 m/s. The right answer is 34 m/s. I'm way off and not sure what I'm doing wrong
Does 34 m/s seem like a reasonable speed at which damage would be avoided?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Does 34 m/s seem like a reasonable speed at which damage would be avoided?

Chet
No now that I think about it that's not reasonable. Does that mean I'm actually doing it right?

Smartgurl said:
No now that I think about it that's not reasonable. Does that mean I'm actually doing it right?
4.2 m/s sounds much more like it, doesn't it?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
4.2 m/s sounds much more like it, doesn't it?

Chet
Yes it does! I guess it's one of those rare occasions when the textbook is wrong! Thanks! I'll definitely make sure the answer is reasonable next time

Related to How Fast Can a Car Hit a Spring Bumper Without Damage?

1. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed due to a force acting on it. This energy is potential because it is stored and can be released to do work in the future.

2. What factors affect the amount of elastic potential energy in an object?

The amount of elastic potential energy in an object is affected by the distance the object is stretched or compressed, the strength of the force applied, and the elasticity of the object.

3. How is elastic potential energy calculated?

Elastic potential energy can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2kx², where E is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant (a measure of the object's stiffness or elasticity), and x is the distance the object is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position.

4. What are some examples of elastic potential energy?

Some common examples of elastic potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, and a bent diving board. These objects can all release their stored energy to do work when they return to their original shape.

5. How is elastic potential energy important in everyday life?

Elastic potential energy plays a crucial role in many everyday activities and technologies. It is used in everything from bungee jumping and trampolines to car suspension systems and medical devices. Understanding and harnessing elastic potential energy allows us to create efficient and effective tools and machines to make our lives easier.