How far will a box slide with given initial velocity, friction, and mass?

• Thread starter subopolois
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Slide
In summary, the distance a box will slide with an initial velocity of 1.5 m/s, kinetic friction of 0.15, and a mass of 30 kg can be solved using kinematics or energy methods. Using kinematics, the distance is calculated to be 0.76 meters. Using energy, it is calculated to be 0.54 meters, but this difference is due to a mistake in arithmetic. Both methods result in the same equation, V(final)^2 - V(initial)^2 = 2(mu)(g)(delta r).
subopolois

Homework Statement

How far will a box slide if its initial velocity is 1.5 m/s, kinetic friction is 0.15 and the object is 30 kg

Homework Equations

a= (kinetic friction)(acceleration due to gravity) and
V(final)^2 - V(initial)^2 = 2(a)(D)

The Attempt at a Solution

a= 0.15 x 9.81 m/s^2
= -1.47 m/s^2 (negative since it is slowing down)

D= V(final)^2 - V(initial)^2 / 2a
= 0 - (1.5 m/s)^2 / 2(-1.47 m/s^2)
= -2.25 m/s^2 / -2.94 m/s^2
= 0.76 m

did i do everything right? seems to me like it should go a little further given the value of friction...

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me!

You solved it using kinematics, which is perfectly fine. What other approach might you have used?

Id say id be able to use kinetic energy to solve it, yay or nay?

subopolois said:
Id say id be able to use kinetic energy to solve it, yay or nay?
Yes, you could use energy methods to solve this. Good!

(Try setting it up enough to convince yourself that you get the same equation in the end.)

ok so let's say i use energy. I have this equation
v(initial)^2 = 2(mu)(g)(delta r)

and i rearrange to find r
r= v(initial)^2 / 2(mu)(g)

I put all my numbers in and i get a different answer, 0.54 meters. what did i do wrong?

subopolois said:
ok so let's say i use energy. I have this equation
v(initial)^2 = 2(mu)(g)(delta r)

and i rearrange to find r
r= v(initial)^2 / 2(mu)(g)
Looks good. Note that this is exactly the same equation you ended up with when you solved it using kinematics.

subopolois said:
I put all my numbers in and i get a different answer, 0.54 meters. what did i do wrong?
Check your arithmetic.

ahhh. forgot to square the initial velocity. Thanks for all your help!

Related to How far will a box slide with given initial velocity, friction, and mass?

1. How does the weight of the box affect its sliding distance?

The weight of the box has a direct impact on its sliding distance. Heavier boxes will slide a shorter distance compared to lighter boxes due to the force of gravity pulling them down with more force.

2. Does the surface the box slides on impact its sliding distance?

Yes, the surface the box slides on can significantly affect its sliding distance. Rough surfaces with more friction will cause the box to slow down and slide a shorter distance compared to smooth surfaces with less friction.

3. How does the angle of the surface affect the box's sliding distance?

The angle of the surface also plays a role in the box's sliding distance. A steeper angle will result in the box sliding a shorter distance, as gravity will pull it down faster and with more force. A flatter angle will allow the box to slide further.

4. Can air resistance impact the box's sliding distance?

Yes, air resistance can affect the box's sliding distance, especially if the box is sliding on a smooth surface. As the box moves, it will displace air, and the resistance from the air will slow it down and cause it to slide a shorter distance.

5. Is it possible to accurately predict the box's sliding distance?

While there are many factors that can affect the box's sliding distance, it is possible to make a fairly accurate prediction by taking into account the weight of the box, the surface it is sliding on, and the angle of the surface. However, other variables like air resistance and external forces may make it challenging to predict the exact distance the box will slide.