How Far Should the Object Be Placed in a Microscope Setup for 75x Magnification?

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance at which an object should be placed in a microscope with two lenses, both with a focal length of 25mm and placed 36.5mm apart, in order to achieve a magnification of at least 75x. The relevant equations are the magnification formula for a compound microscope and the lens formula. By rearranging the magnification formula, the object distance can be found. The final solution is -73/3, and the length of the tube is not necessary in this calculation.
mithil03

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a microscope made out of two lenses, both with a focal length of
25mm, placed 36.5mm apart. Find how far in front of the first lens should the object be
placed to assure that the image is magnified at least by a factor of 75?

Homework Equations

The magnification for a compound microscope is : Mo x Me = (V/fo - 1) (1+ D/fe) or (-L/f1) (25/f2)

Lens formula: 1/v - 1/u = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure which equation to use as the first one doesn't make use of the distance btw the two lenses. And still not sure how Ill get the position of object from the first lens.

Physics news on Phys.org

Mo x Me = (V/fo - 1) (1+ D/fe) or (-L/f1) (25/f2)

In the above formula V is the image distance. But you want the object distance. SO the formula can be rewritten as

MoxMe = fo/(fo+u)(1 + D/fe)

Now find u.

But I am still not using the value of the distance between the two lenses at all. By the above equation I am getting the answer as -73/3 .

According to me

75 = 2.5/(u - 2.5)*(1 + 25/2.5)

Solve it and find u. In this method length of the tube not necessary.

The formula is fo/(fo+u) right ? Here you are taking u-fo in the denominator ...Am i right ?

In the relevant equation you have written

1/v - 1/u = 1/f.

When you apply the sign convention, for the real image in convex lens the formula becomes

1/v + 1/u = 1/f. Multiply by u on both the sides. You get

u/v + 1 = u/fo Or

1/mo = u/fo - 1 Or

mo = fo/(u - fo)

Related to How Far Should the Object Be Placed in a Microscope Setup for 75x Magnification?

1. What is the purpose of the optics in a microscope?

The optics in a microscope are responsible for magnifying and focusing the image of the specimen. They consist of lenses, mirrors, and other optical components that work together to produce a clear and magnified image.

2. How does the magnification of a microscope work?

The magnification of a microscope is achieved through a combination of the objective lens and the eyepiece lens. The objective lens produces a magnified image of the specimen, which is further magnified by the eyepiece lens. The total magnification is calculated by multiplying the magnification power of the objective lens with that of the eyepiece lens.

3. What is the difference between numerical aperture and resolution in a microscope?

Numerical aperture refers to the ability of a lens to gather light, while resolution refers to the ability to distinguish between two closely spaced objects. In a microscope, a higher numerical aperture means more light is collected, resulting in a brighter and clearer image. A higher resolution means that smaller details can be seen in the image.

4. Why are some microscope lenses colored?

Some microscope lenses are coated with different colors, such as blue, green, or yellow, to enhance contrast and improve image quality. These colors are specifically chosen to absorb certain wavelengths of light that may cause glare or interfere with the image. This allows for a better contrast between the specimen and the background.

5. How do you adjust the focus on a microscope?

To adjust the focus on a microscope, use the coarse and fine adjustment knobs. The coarse adjustment knob moves the stage up and down, bringing the specimen closer or further away from the objective lens. The fine adjustment knob makes small adjustments to the focus for a clearer image. It is important to start with the lowest magnification and use the coarse adjustment knob to bring the specimen into focus before using the fine adjustment knob.