How far does the car travel? Uniform acceleration.

In summary, a car accelerates uniformly from rest to a speed of 23.2 km/h in 5.4s. The distance traveled during this time can be found using the equation \Deltax = 1/2(vi + vf)t. However, in this case, the conversion from hours to seconds was incorrect, resulting in the incorrect answer of 1044m. After correcting the conversion, the correct answer is 17.28m. This problem does not require finding acceleration.
AVReidy

Homework Statement

A car accelerates uniformly from rest to a speed of 23.2 km/h in 5.4s. Find the distance it travels during this time. Answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

[itex]\Delta[/itex]x = 1/2(vi + vf)t

vf = vi + at

vf2 = vi2 + 1/2 at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used each one of these equations, sometimes in combination, and every time I reach the answer 1044m, which is wrong. I think the problem lies not in which equations I use, but in the way I set them up. Here's one way:

23.2km/hr = 23,200/60 = 386.7 m/s
[itex]\Delta[/itex]x = 1/2(vi + vf)t
[itex]\Delta[/itex]x = 1/2(0 + 386.7)(5.4)

I'm really stuck on this one and would really really really appreciate some help. I don't see what I'm doing wrong, because I've always arrived at the same answer (1044m) no matter which way I solve for it. This makes me think I'm using the wrong initial velocity or something like that.

Thank you so much!

Edit: I have also solved for acceleration and plugged it in. I got 71.6 m/s2. After using acceleration in one of the equations, I still got 1044m.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't gone through the whole problem but I see at least one part that is not correct.

"...23.2km/hr = 23,200/60 = 386.7 m/s..."

Look at your conversion factor going from hours to seconds.

Thank you very much :smile:

Do you know if this problem requires that I find acceleration?

You are very welcome.

AVReidy said:
Thank you very much :smile:

Do you know if this problem requires that I find acceleration?

No, it would not. But convince yourself of that. Take one of the equations that uses velocity only to find the displacement, and use one that uses the acceleration and compare the answer you get.

The answer was 17.28m. Thank you all for being so helpful!

Unfortunately, that was one of the easiest problems I have to do, and I didn't get that one because of a conversion mistake.

Time to hurt my brain on a problem with systems of equations and quadratic stuff (It sucks being in honors physics while just starting to take algebra II).

Related to How far does the car travel? Uniform acceleration.

1. How do you calculate the distance traveled by a car with uniform acceleration?

The distance traveled by a car with uniform acceleration can be calculated using the formula d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

2. What is uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is the constant change in velocity over time. This means that the car is moving at a steady rate, constantly increasing or decreasing its speed by the same amount in a given time period.

3. How does uniform acceleration affect the distance traveled by a car?

Uniform acceleration affects the distance traveled by a car by increasing the distance traveled over time. This is because the car is constantly changing its velocity, thus covering more distance in a given time period.

4. Is the distance traveled by a car with uniform acceleration dependent on its initial velocity?

Yes, the distance traveled by a car with uniform acceleration is dependent on its initial velocity. The greater the initial velocity, the greater the distance traveled in a given time period.

5. How does the time taken affect the distance traveled by a car with uniform acceleration?

The time taken affects the distance traveled by a car with uniform acceleration by directly impacting the distance formula. The longer the time taken, the greater the distance traveled, assuming the acceleration remains constant.