How far does a rolling hoop travel up an incline with known variables?

In summary, the problem involves a 3.8 kg hoop with a radius of 1.8 m rolling without slipping at an initial angular speed of 5.5 rad/s. It rolls up an incline of 17 degrees with the horizontal. Using the equations for rotational kinetic energy and potential energy, the final result is that the hoop will roll a distance of 34.17 m along the incline. Friction is present, but does not do any work in this problem.
therayne
Sorry, the title is wrong, it's hoop rolling UP an incline

Homework Statement

In a circus performance, a large 3.8 kg hoop
with a radius of 1.8 m rolls without slipping.
If the hoop is given an angular speed of
5.5 rad/s while rolling on the horizontal and is
allowed to roll up a ramp inclined at 17◦ with
the horizontal, how far (measured along the
incline) does the hoop roll? The acceleration
of gravity is 9.81 m/s2 .
Answer in units of m.

Known variables:
p3n2y.jpg

M=3.8 kg
R=1.8 m
wi = 5.5 rad/s
wf=0 rad/s
vi= wR
Angle A=17 degrees
h= d*sin(A)
d=?

*im using v and w at the center of mass, same for inertia

Homework Equations

I = MR^2
rotational KE= (1/2)Iw^2 + (1/2)Mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

KEf + Uf = KEi + Ui
0 + Mgh = (1/2)Iw^2 + (1/2)Mv^2 + 0
Mgh = (1/2)Iw^2 + (1/2)Mv^2

substitute:
h=d*sin(A)
w= v/R
I=MR^2

Mgd*sin(A) = (1/2)(MR^2)(v^2 / R^2) + (1/2)Mv^2
Mgd*sin(A) = (1/2)Mv^2 + (1/2) Mv^2
Mgd*sin(A) = Mv^2

d = v^2 / (g*sin(A))
using v=wR = 9.9

d= 234.17

Which is wrong.

I wasn't sure if i was supposed to include friction, does it even make sense for an object to roll without friction? I'm not sure, and I'm not sure how to even do the problem with friction. that would mean i would have to use torque right?
Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your derivation is correct, but I do not understand how you get the final result.

sin 17o = 0.292

[tex]d=\frac{9.9^2}{9.8 \cdot 0.292} =? [/tex]

About friction: yes, static friction is present, the loop could not roll otherwise, but static friction does not do any work (the point where it acts is in rest.)

ehild

I ended with
Mgd*sin(A) = Mv^2

I divided both sides by Mgsin(A), so the M's cancel and I'm left wit
d = v^2 / gsin(A)

oops! I made a type when i got d=234.17
it's just d = 34.17 m

AH!
I just checked the website where i submit my answers and 34.17 is right. I thought i had already entered that answer and got it wrong, but i had something else the first time.

Well thanks for your help, i was a little confused about the friction but I think I got it now.

Thanks a million, this website is great, I've been using it for help for the past few weeks but only just registered.

Related to How far does a rolling hoop travel up an incline with known variables?

1. What is the force that causes a hoop to roll down an incline?

The force that causes a hoop to roll down an incline is gravity. Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. In this case, it is the Earth's gravitational pull that causes the hoop to roll down the incline.

2. What factors affect the speed of a hoop rolling down an incline?

The speed of a hoop rolling down an incline is affected by several factors, including the angle of the incline, the weight of the hoop, and the surface of the incline. The steeper the incline, the faster the hoop will roll. A heavier hoop will also roll faster, while a rough surface will slow down the hoop's speed.

3. Does the diameter of the hoop impact its speed when rolling down an incline?

Yes, the diameter of the hoop can impact its speed when rolling down an incline. A larger diameter hoop will have a higher moment of inertia, which means it will require more force to start rolling and will roll slower. A smaller diameter hoop will have a lower moment of inertia and will start rolling more easily and at a faster speed.

4. How does the shape of the hoop affect its motion when rolling down an incline?

The shape of the hoop can greatly affect its motion when rolling down an incline. A perfectly circular hoop will roll smoothly and evenly, while an oval or irregularly shaped hoop may wobble or veer off course. This is because the circular shape provides more stability and balance for the hoop when rolling.

5. Can the surface of the incline impact the direction of the hoop's motion?

Yes, the surface of the incline can impact the direction of the hoop's motion. A smooth and even surface will allow the hoop to roll straight down the incline, while a bumpy or uneven surface may cause the hoop to veer off course or slow down. This is because the surface's friction can affect the hoop's movement.