How Far Does a Block Slide Up an Inclined Plane?

In summary, the problem involves a 2.3-kg block sliding at a speed of 5.9 m/s on a frictionless surface before transitioning to a frictionless ramp at a 24-degree angle. The question asks for the distance the block will slide up the ramp before coming to a stop. The attempted solution used the equation mgh + .5mv^2 = TE and resulted in an incorrect answer due to a mistake of canceling out the mass in the equation. The correct solution is h = v^2 / 2gsin24, which yields a distance of 3.793096 m.
jigs90
[SOLVED] Energy Conservation Problem Please HELP!:)

Homework Statement

A 2.3-kg block slides along a frictionless horizontal surface with a speed of 5.9 m/s After sliding a distance of 6 m, the block makes a smooth transition to a frictionless ramp inclined at an angle of 24o to the hori-zontal.
How far up the ramp does the block slide before coming monetarily to rest?

Homework Equations

mgh + .5 mv^2 = TE

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing it with this equation, but my answer was incorrect

mgh sin 24 = 1/2mv2
solve for h= v2/(2.3g sin 24 ) = [5.9^2 /(2.3 ´ 9.81 ´ sin 24o)] = 3.793096 m

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured out my mistake. I forgot that I canceled out my masses and was using the equation h=v^2 / 2gsin...

You shouldn't have a "2.3" in the denominator, since the masses cancel. This should be a 2 (from the 1/2 on the RHS).

Related to How Far Does a Block Slide Up an Inclined Plane?

1. What is energy conservation and why is it important?

Energy conservation is the practice of reducing the amount of energy used in order to save resources and reduce negative impacts on the environment. It is important because it helps to reduce our carbon footprint, conserve natural resources, and save money on energy bills.

2. What are some simple ways to conserve energy at home?

Some simple ways to conserve energy at home include turning off lights when not in use, unplugging electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient light bulbs and appliances, and adjusting the thermostat to reduce heating and cooling costs.

3. How does energy conservation benefit the environment?

Energy conservation benefits the environment by reducing the demand for fossil fuels, which in turn reduces air and water pollution, greenhouse gas emissions, and the destruction of natural habitats for energy production.

4. Can businesses also participate in energy conservation?

Yes, businesses can also participate in energy conservation by implementing energy-efficient practices and technologies, such as using renewable energy sources, conducting energy audits, and encouraging employees to conserve energy.

5. Is energy conservation only important for individuals and businesses?

No, energy conservation is important for everyone, including governments, industries, and communities. It is a collective effort to reduce our impact on the environment and ensure a sustainable future for generations to come.