How Far Does a Block Fall When Released from an Unstretched Spring?

In summary: The potential energy is also proportional to the square of the extension, so you can find it by multiplying the spring constant by the square of the extension.In summary, the block suspended from a spring hanging off the ceiling will oscillate between positions A and B when released. With a mass of 0.5kg and a spring constant of 10N/m, the distance the block will fall can be found by equating gravitational and spring potential energy and using conservation of energy. The potential energy is proportional to the square of the extension of the spring, so the distance can be determined by multiplying the spring constant by the square of the extension.
mathewings
A block is susoended from the end of a spring. The spring is hanging off the ceiling. An external force holds the block so that, initially, the spring is not stretched or compressed. When the block is released, it oscillates up and down between positions A and B. If the mass of the block is 0.5kg and the spring constant is 10N/m, how far will the block fall when it is released?

I've tried equating gravitational potential and spring potential energy, but the height of the block can't be determined. I don't believe there's enough information to isolate a velocity to find kinetic energy. I'm fairly certain I'm on the right track in that I need to use conservation of energy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Image11.gif
    Image11.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
mathewings said:
A block is susoended from the end of a spring. The spring is hanging off the ceiling. An external force holds the block so that, initially, the spring is not stretched or compressed. When the block is released, it oscillates up and down between positions A and B. If the mass of the block is 0.5kg and the spring constant is 10N/m, how far will the block fall when it is released?

I've tried equating gravitational potential and spring potential energy, but the height of the block can't be determined. I don't believe there's enough information to isolate a velocity to find kinetic energy. I'm fairly certain I'm on the right track in that I need to use conservation of energy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You are on the right track. The spring has no PE in the initial configuration. You are free to pick the zero of gravitational potential energy anywhere you like. If you say it is zero initially, then it becomes negative as the mass falls. If you prefer, you can call it zero at the bottom and use the unknown distance it falls as the initial height. Either way, the change in potential energy is proportional to the falling distance, and the falling distance is the extension of the spring.

I would suggest using the conservation of mechanical energy principle to solve this problem. This principle states that the total mechanical energy (potential energy + kinetic energy) of a system remains constant in the absence of non-conservative forces, such as friction.

In this case, the initial mechanical energy of the system is only potential energy, as the block is not moving. As the block falls and oscillates between positions A and B, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and back to potential energy. Therefore, we can set the initial potential energy equal to the final potential energy at position B.

Using the equation for potential energy, PE = mgh, we can determine the initial potential energy of the system as mgh = (0.5 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(h), where h is the initial height of the block.

At position B, the block is at its lowest point and has no potential energy, so the final potential energy is 0.

Therefore, we can set the initial potential energy equal to 0 and solve for h:

0.5 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * h = 0

h = 0 m

This means that the block does not fall at all when it is released, as it is already at its lowest point. The oscillation between positions A and B is due to the spring force, not gravity.

In conclusion, the block will not fall when it is released, as the spring force will keep it suspended in its original position.

Related to How Far Does a Block Fall When Released from an Unstretched Spring?

What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation refers to the practice of reducing energy consumption and finding more efficient ways to use and produce energy. It is an important strategy for addressing issues such as climate change, resource depletion, and energy security.

Why is energy conservation important?

Energy conservation is important for several reasons. It helps reduce our carbon footprint and mitigate the effects of climate change. It also helps conserve natural resources and reduce our dependence on non-renewable energy sources. In addition, energy conservation can lead to cost savings for individuals and organizations.

What are some examples of energy conservation?

There are many ways to conserve energy, including turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, insulating buildings to reduce heating and cooling needs, and using alternative modes of transportation such as walking, biking, or public transit.

How does energy conservation impact the environment?

Energy conservation has a positive impact on the environment by reducing greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution. It also helps protect natural habitats and conserve natural resources, such as water and fossil fuels.

What can individuals do to promote energy conservation?

Individuals can promote energy conservation by being conscious of their energy use and making small changes in their daily habits, such as turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use. They can also support renewable energy initiatives and advocate for policies that promote energy efficiency and conservation on a larger scale.