How far apart are two electrons in an electric field?

In summary, the first conversation discusses the movement of an electron with a speed of 3.0 x 106 m/s into a uniform electric field of 1000 N/C, where the field is parallel to the electron's motion. The question is how far the electron will travel before being brought to rest. The second conversation involves an electron released above Earth's surface, with a second electron exerting an electrostatic force to cancel out the gravitational force. The problem is to find the distance between the two electrons, but the radius of the Earth is not given. The radius is later provided as 6.38 x 10^6 metres.
Physically Impaired
1. An electron with a speed of 3.0 x 106 m/s moves into a uniform electric field of 1000 N/C. The field is parallel to the electron's motion. How far does the electron travel before it is brought to rest.

I read the part of the text related to electric fields but I saw nothing that related it to the velocity of particle.

2. An electron is released a short distance above Earth's surface. A second electron directly below it exerts an electrostatic force on the first ele- just great enough to cancel the gravitational force on it. How far below the first electron is the second?

Using Fg = G m1m2/r2 do I use this formula to find out the gravitational force and then set it equal to the electrical force? I'm a little confused on how to approach this.

:-p
Bill

Physics news on Phys.org
force acting on a charge in a field E is given by F= qE. Use Newtons law to relate the acceleration with this

you know v1, v2, a now find the time

equate the gravitational force between Earth and the electron with the coulomb attraction froce between teh electrons and solve for the r

Hint the distance between the electron and the Earth is not the same as the disatnce between the two electrons i guess the ygeave you radius of the Earth didnt they?)

No they didn't give me the radius of the earth. I gave you the entire problem.

i guess they expect you to find it out

the radius of the eaarth is 6.38 x 10^6 metres

Related to How far apart are two electrons in an electric field?

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of an electric charge on other charged particles within its vicinity. It is represented by a vector, with both magnitude and direction.

How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of an electric charge. The charge creates an electric field that exerts a force on other charged particles within its range. The strength of the field is determined by the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the charge.

How can the strength of an electric field be measured?

The strength of an electric field can be measured using a device called an electric field meter. This meter measures the force exerted on a test charge placed in the field, and the strength of the field is calculated using the Coulomb's law.

What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. It is a measure of how much work would be required to move a unit of positive charge from infinity to a specific point in the electric field. On the other hand, electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force per unit charge at a given point in an electric field.

What are some real-life applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many real-life applications, including powering electronic devices, generating electricity in power plants, and controlling the movement of charged particles in medical equipment such as MRI machines. They are also used for electrostatic painting, air purifiers, and in the production of lightning rods.