How exctly the higgs field originted after the big bang?

In summary, the Higgs field always existed, but it was only once the energy levels of the universe were reduced below a certain point that things acquired mass.
Abersman
i know that they are trying to recreate the higgs boson at CERN LHC, but talking about when the big bang happened, how was the higgs field suppose to happen?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I was under the impression that the higgs field always existed, and it was only once the energy levels of the universe were reduced below a certain point that things acquired mass.

Phase Transitions in the Early Universe - Electroweak and QCD Transitions

The Higgs-particle field has a potential energy that's shaped like a bowl with a hump in the middle. When the temperature is high enough to make Higgs particles (T >~ mH ~ 125 GeV), then the resulting Higgs-field fluctuations compensate for that central hump, and above about 300 GeV, make it disappear altogether.

That means that the Higgs field stops having a nonzero average value at about then, ending the low-energy Higgs mechanism.

[hep-ph/9702324] Finite temperature effects on the neutrino decoupling in the early Universe - thermal fluctuations create effective masses for every particle, with mass values about (interaction strength) * T.

The descriptions I've seen are similar to the prior post.
My understanding is the Higgs field are associated with particular types of vacuums. I have never heard it proposed that before the big bang there existed a Higgs field everywhere. Such a Higgs mechanism
involving different possible 'vacua' is..an essential ingredient of inflation
according to Roger Penrose in THE ROAD TO REALITY, 28.1.

Last edited:
I think the Higgs field is a manual input to inflation...and the standard model of particle physics...just like the inflation which originated with Guth is a manual input...a mathematical tool used to solve some issues and produce some observational predictions...I also checked several sections of Wikipeida...via "Higgs mechanism" and ended up here:

But if they describe the origin of the field I missed it: They say the Higgs boson is a tachyon...but not faster than light...

Tachyonic fields play a very important role in modern physics.

Perhaps the most famous example of a tachyon is the Higgs boson of the Standard model of particle physics. In its uncondensed phase, the Higgs field has a negative mass squared, and is therefore a tachyon.

The phenomenon of spontaneous symmetry breaking, which is closely related to tachyon condensation, plays a central part in many aspects of theoretical physics, including the Ginzburg–Landau and BCS theories of superconductivity.

Other examples include the inflaton field in certain models of cosmic inflation (such as new inflation[8][9]), and the tachyon of bosonic string theory

The link to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon_condensation describes how a Higgs like scalar field produces particles...edit: here is a related discussion:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=621236

and I am reminded from it that the Higgs field is associated with a non zero expectation vacuum...hence I believe that suggests the Higgs field did NOT exist before the BB...maybe an 'expert' will clarify for us.

Last edited:
The field that makes inflation is sometimes called the inflaton (no i), and it's like a spin-0 one.

However, the inflaton cannot be the Higgs particle, because of the great difference in energy scales:
Higgs: ~ 300 GeV
inflaton: ~ 1015 GeV

Related to How exctly the higgs field originted after the big bang?

1. What is the Higgs field?

The Higgs field is a theoretical concept in particle physics that was first proposed by British physicist Peter Higgs in the 1960s. It is a quantum field that permeates all of space and gives particles their mass.

2. How did the Higgs field originate after the Big Bang?

The Higgs field is believed to have originated during the Big Bang, a cosmological event that occurred approximately 13.8 billion years ago. As the universe expanded and cooled, the Higgs field underwent a phase transition, similar to water freezing into ice. This phase transition gave particles their mass and allowed them to interact with the Higgs field.

3. Why is the Higgs field important?

The Higgs field is important because it is responsible for the existence of mass in the universe. Without the Higgs field, particles would not have mass and the universe as we know it would not exist. Additionally, the Higgs field is a crucial component of the Standard Model of particle physics, which explains the fundamental particles and forces in our universe.

4. How was the Higgs field discovered?

The Higgs field was discovered in 2012 by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research. Scientists at the LHC observed the long-sought-after Higgs boson, a particle that is associated with the Higgs field, through proton-proton collisions.

5. Can the Higgs field be manipulated?

The Higgs field is a fundamental aspect of our universe and cannot be manipulated in the traditional sense. However, scientists are currently studying ways to manipulate the Higgs field through experiments and theoretical models, which could potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.