How Does Weiss Molecular Field Theory Model Magnetization Symmetry?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding a physics textbook and its corresponding equation for magnetization. The textbook states that the solution for the magnetization should be invariant to the choice of orientation for the axis along which spin is measured. This means that changing the coefficient ##h## in the equation to its negative should result in a change in sign but not amplitude for the magnetization. The solution to this problem involves substituting ##-h## for ##h## and showing that the two resulting equations are equivalent, leading to the conclusion that ##-m(-h,T) = m(h,T)##.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
This question is more about the maths than the physics.

So I am reading the textbook by Bergersen and Plischke, and they get the following:

$$m= \tanh [ \beta (qJm+h)]$$

where ##m## is the magnetization, ##q## is the number of nearest neighbours of site ##0##, ##J## and ##h##are the coefficients in the Hamiltonian: ##H = -J\sum_{<ij>} \sigma_i \sigma_j -h \sum_i \sigma_i##;

For the question, they write that ##m(h,T) ## satisfies: ##m(h,T) = -m(-h,T)##;
but I tried to showed this and I didn't succeed.

Here's my attempt:

$$-m(-h,T) = -\tanh [ \beta(-qJm(-h,T)-h) ] = m(-h,T)$$

I used the fact that ##\tanh(-x) = -\tanh(x)##.

Am I wrong?
Did they mean something else here?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your original expression for [itex] m[/itex] is seems it is a function of [itex] q,J, \beta ,h[/itex] and there is also another [itex]m[/itex] inside this expression. Why are there two m's? And I also don't see the T dependence from your statement [itex] m \rightarrow m(h,T)[/itex], either in your m expression or in the Hamiltonian, unless it's somehow derived from J.

DeathbyGreen said:
In your original expression for [itex] m[/itex] is seems it is a function of [itex] q,J, \beta ,h[/itex] and there is also another [itex]m[/itex] inside this expression. Why are there two m's? And I also don't see the T dependence from your statement [itex] m \rightarrow m(h,T)[/itex], either in your m expression or in the Hamiltonian, unless it's somehow derived from J.
The ##m## in the LHS and the one in the RHS are the same or at least that's what I think is the case.

As for the ##T## dependence, as is well known in statistical mechanics textbooks we denote by ##\beta := \frac{1}{k_B T}## where ##k_B## is Boltzmann constant and ##T## is the temperature.

Its confusing to think about if it is the same m on both sides. But maybe they mean:
[itex]
-m(-h,T) = -\tanh(\beta[qJ(-m(-h,T))-h]) = -\tanh(-\beta[qJm(-h,T)+h])=\tanh(\beta[qJm(-h,T)+h])=m(h,T,m(-h,T))
[/itex]

In other words, the equality is [itex] -m(-h,T,m(-h,T))=m(h,T,m(-h,T))[/itex]

DeathbyGreen said:
Its confusing to think about if it is the same m on both sides. But maybe they mean:
[itex]
-m(-h,T) = -\tanh(\beta[qJ(-m(-h,T))-h]) = -\tanh(-\beta[qJm(-h,T)+h])=\tanh(\beta[qJm(-h,T)+h])=m(h,T,m(-h,T))
[/itex]

In other words, the equality is [itex] -m(-h,T,m(-h,T))=m(h,T,m(-h,T))[/itex]
Seems so, thanks.

Quite recursive here.

Likes DeathbyGreen
The choice of the orientation of the axis along which spin is measured is arbitrary. Therefore, the solution should be invariant to that choice of orientation. Changing ##h## to ##-h## corresponds to inverting which spin state is the ground state and which is the excited state, so the magnetization should change sign, but not amplitude.

If ##m## is a solution of
$$
m= \tanh [ \beta (qJm+h)]
$$
then let ##\bar{m}## be the result when both ##m## and ##h## change sign:
$$
\begin{align*}
\bar{m} &= \tanh [ \beta (qJ(-m)-h)] \\
&= \tanh [ -\beta (qJm+h)] \\
&= -m
\end{align*}
$$
which is consistent with the assumption that ##-m## is a solution to the equation when the substitution ##h \rightarrow -h## is made, so ##-m(-h,T) = m(h,T)##.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist

Related to How Does Weiss Molecular Field Theory Model Magnetization Symmetry?

1. What is Weiss molecular field theory?

Weiss molecular field theory is a theoretical framework used to study the magnetic behavior of materials. It was developed by French physicist Pierre-Ernest Weiss in the early 20th century.

2. How does Weiss molecular field theory explain magnetism?

Weiss molecular field theory explains magnetism by considering the interactions between individual atomic magnetic moments within a material. These interactions, known as molecular fields, are affected by temperature and the arrangement of atoms in the material.

3. What is the role of the Weiss molecular field in this theory?

The Weiss molecular field is a key concept in this theory, as it represents the average magnetic field experienced by an individual magnetic moment due to its interactions with other moments in the material. It is used to calculate the overall magnetization of the material.

4. What types of materials can be studied using Weiss molecular field theory?

Weiss molecular field theory can be applied to a variety of magnetic materials, including ferromagnets, antiferromagnets, and ferrimagnets. It is also used to study phase transitions between different magnetic states.

5. How is Weiss molecular field theory related to other theories of magnetism?

Weiss molecular field theory is one of the earliest and most influential theories of magnetism. It is a precursor to more advanced theories, such as the Heisenberg model and the Ising model, which take into account quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics, respectively.