How Does Time Impact the Force Calculation in F=ma for a Falling Object?

In summary: Where P is the momentum of the object, M is the mass of the object, V is the velocity of the object, and ^ is the mathematical symbol for product. So, if you have a rock that is 1kg and falls 9.8m/sec/sec, its momentum is 9.8kg*9.8m/sec/sec or 98.4kg. Therefore, if you hit a rock with the same momentum with a force of 9.8N, it will stop the rock.
jnorman
i am an idiot.
i am going to drop a rock from the top of a building.
i want to know the force with which the rock will impact the ground.
i know the rock's mass is 1kg.
i know that the rock will accelerate at 9.8m/sec/sec.
if i use the equation F=ma, i get a fixed result/answer - 9.8N or 9.8kg-m/sec/sec (correct?).

without inputing some time variable into this, so i can know how long the rock undergoes acceleration, i cannot determine how fast the rock is going when it hits the ground. if i don't know how fast the rock is going, i cannot know how much force the rock will exert on the ground when it hits.

what am i missing here?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a stupid question. What you are missing is you don't know how long it takes the rock to stop so you don't know the acceleration.

The Force when it hits the ground is hard to specify and I don't think you actually want to know that. It will depend on other factors like the surface of the ground and the nature of the falling object. I think what you are really after is the speed of the object - which will tell you the Kinetic Energy or the Momentum.

The Energy the rock will have when it hits the ground will be given by mgh, where g is gravity (9.81m/s/s), m is its mass and h is the height. You could find the speed from this value of Kinetic Energy. You don't need the 'equations of motion' or how long it takes. In fact, if you ignore friction, the rock could go down a helterskelter and its speed when it arrives would be the same as if it fell directly (not a realistic answer, really but true in principle).

If the rock landed on thick mud, it would spend a long time decelerating and the force could be very low. On the other hand, if it landed on a block of granite, there would be a much higher force.

If it helps you understand, this is why car companies put airbags in vehicles. If you hit your head on the dashboard, it will slow down almost instantly and experience a ton of force. If you instead hit an airbag, your head slows down a lot slower, and you experience less force.

Also the reason they don't use concrete as a landing pad for pole vaulters.

@jnorman
Have you heard of the quantity Impulse? It describes the amount of momentum change of an object (for instance, bringing it to a halt) and is equal to a Force times the Time it acts for. There are many combinations of Force and Time which will give the same Impulse.

i think you may be reading the formula incorrectly... F is the amount of force needed to be applied to the mass (M) to achieve the desired acceleation. This is not the formula to calculate how much energy or how hard the object will hit the ground. This will actually tell you how much force gravity (the acceleration from the earth) is is exerting on the object falling (M).

That is why you don't have Time or distance in this formula... you don't need it.

Instead try this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum

P=MV

Last edited:

Related to How Does Time Impact the Force Calculation in F=ma for a Falling Object?

1. What is the formula for F=ma?

The formula for F=ma is used to calculate the force (F) applied to an object, given its mass (m) and acceleration (a).

2. How is F=ma used in physics?

F=ma is a fundamental equation in physics used to explain the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It is commonly used in the study of mechanics and motion.

3. Is it possible to have a negative acceleration in F=ma?

Yes, it is possible to have a negative acceleration in F=ma. This would occur when an object is slowing down or decelerating.

4. Can F=ma be applied to all objects?

F=ma can be applied to all objects, as long as they have mass and are experiencing some kind of acceleration. However, it may not accurately predict the behavior of objects at the quantum level.

5. What are the units for F=ma?

The units for F=ma are Newtons (N) for force, kilograms (kg) for mass, and meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration.