How Does Time Dilation Affect Signal Reception from a Fast-Moving Spaceship?

In summary, the problem involves a spaceship moving away from Earth at a velocity of 0.866c and emitting two light signals, with the second one being emitted 4 seconds after the first one (measured on board). The question is asking for the time interval between the arrival of the two light signals on Earth. The solution involves applying the Lorentz transformation, which takes into account time dilation and Lorentz contraction, to the inertial system of the moving spaceship. After applying the transformation, the solution yields a time interval of 14 seconds, while the given answer states it should be 15 seconds. It is possible that the discrepancy is due to not accounting for the spaceship's movement during the 4 seconds between light
Huy

Homework Statement

We observe a spaceship moving away from the Earth at a velocity of v = 0.866c. The spaceship emits two light signals, the second one 4 seconds (Delta T') after the first one (measured on board). What is the time interval (Delta T) between the arrival of the two light signals on earth?

Homework Equations

Time dilation, Lorentz contraction, Lorentz transformation, invariance of space-time

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically applied Lorentz transformation: www.i.imgur.com/ylfOJ.jpg (please copy & paste, I can't include a link in my first ten posts...)
However, using my approach I arrive at Delta T = 14s, whereas the solution says it should be 15s. I hope my writing is readable and I'm sorry I didn't know whether this belongs to intro- or advanced physics, the educational system in my country differs from the U.S.' a lot...

Thanks for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
did you factor in that the spaceship has moved further away in four seconds? This would delay the second signal a bit more.

I'm pretty sure I did, because basically, what I am doing in my solution is applying the Lorentz transformation to the inertial system of the spaceship which is moving away with constant velocity.

Related to How Does Time Dilation Affect Signal Reception from a Fast-Moving Spaceship?

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object in motion compared to an object at rest. It is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs due to the bending of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects. This bending of spacetime results in a difference in the perception of time for objects in different frames of reference.

3. What is the difference between time dilation and time interval?

Time dilation refers to the difference in the perception of time for objects in different frames of reference, while time interval refers to the actual duration of time between two events. Time dilation can affect the time interval between events, but they are not the same concept.

4. How is time dilation measured?

Time dilation can be measured through experiments, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment, which used atomic clocks to measure the difference in time for objects in motion and at rest. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations derived from Einstein's theory of relativity.

5. What are some real-life examples of time dilation?

One famous example of time dilation is the aging of astronauts in space. Due to their high speeds and proximity to massive objects, time passes slower for them compared to people on Earth. Other examples include GPS satellites, which must account for time dilation in order to function accurately, and muons, which have a longer lifespan due to their high speeds in Earth's atmosphere.