How does this statics design FBD look?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the force capacity of a hydraulic cylinder used to raise and lower a concrete truck chute. The chute can be adjusted by adding or removing segments, each weighing 50 lbs. The maximum length of the chute is 144 inches and it has a semicircular shape with an 8 inch inside radius. The weight of the chute and any cement carried by it needs to be supported by the cylinder, and the weight distribution can be calculated by finding the center of gravity. The conversation also discusses using the maximum weight of the chute to determine the critical weight on the jack and using distributed weight to calculate the weight distribution. The experts recommend finding the weight at the center of gravity and taking a moment about H to determine
jklops686
I have a FBD I'm not quite sure about. I attached what i have along with the original picture. 2 pin supports plus the other one on the hydraulic jack. How does it look? Here's my problem:

The chute of a concrete truck for delivering wet concrete to a construction site is shown. The length of the chute may be changed by adding or removing segments BC and CD. Chute segments AB, BC and CD each weigh 50 lb, and the maximum length of the chute is 144 inches. The chute has semicircular shape with 8 inch inside radius, and the hydraulic cylinder GF is used to raise and lower the chute such that. I have to specify the force capacity of the hydraulic cylinder GH.

I have to use the max weight on the chute to figure critical weight on the jack. How do I do this without using distributed weight for the chute? I'm not sure of my force arrows at D and H.

Attachments

• chute2.jpg
    chute2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 799
Engineering news on Phys.org
jklops686 said:
I have to use the max weight on the chute to figure critical weight on the jack. How do I do this without using distributed weight for the chute? I'm not sure of my force arrows at D and H.

Why don't you want to use the distributed weight of the chute? BTW, doesn't the cylinder have to support both the weight of the chute and any cement carried by the chute?

SteamKing said:
Why don't you want to use the distributed weight of the chute? BTW, doesn't the cylinder have to support both the weight of the chute and any cement carried by the chute?

Right, so first i have to figure the weight of the chute full of wet cement. And I haven't learned how to use distributed weight so I figured there must be a way to solve it a different way.

Well, the weight of the chute and the cement contained within won't be located at the end.

Using distributed weight is not that hard. The trick is to replace the weight distribution with the total weight acting at the center of gravity of the distribution. For a constant weight distribution, like you have here, the center of gravity will be in the center of the distribution. For example, each section of chute weighs 50 lbs. and is 48 in. long. The distributed weight for one section of the chute alone is 50/48 = 1.042 lb/in, and the center of gravity is 25 in. from one end.

The weight distribution of the cement can be figured in a similar manner by calculating the volume of the chute and using the density of cement.

SteamKing said:
Well, the weight of the chute and the cement contained within won't be located at the end.

Using distributed weight is not that hard. The trick is to replace the weight distribution with the total weight acting at the center of gravity of the distribution. For a constant weight distribution, like you have here, the center of gravity will be in the center of the distribution. For example, each section of chute weighs 50 lbs. and is 48 in. long. The distributed weight for one section of the chute alone is 50/48 = 1.042 lb/in, and the center of gravity is 25 in. from one end.

The weight distribution of the cement can be figured in a similar manner by calculating the volume of the chute and using the density of cement.

Okay great, thank you, so I just find the weight at the center of gravity of the chute with cement and then use that to take a moment about H?

Last edited:
is the capacity of the jack just the weight of the chute with cement in the HG direction?

Related to How does this statics design FBD look?

1. What is a free body diagram (FBD)?

A free body diagram is a simplified visual representation of an object or system that isolates and shows all the external forces acting upon it. It helps to analyze the forces and motion of a system in statics and dynamics problems.

2. How do you create a free body diagram?

To create a free body diagram, you first need to identify the object or system of interest. Then, draw a sketch of the object or system, and label all the external forces acting on it. Finally, use arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force.

3. Why is a free body diagram important in statics design?

A free body diagram is important in statics design because it helps to identify and understand all the forces acting on a system, which is essential for solving static equilibrium problems. It also helps to visualize the interactions between different components of a system.

4. What are the key components of a free body diagram?

The key components of a free body diagram include the object or system of interest, external forces acting on the object, and any constraints or supports that restrict the motion of the object. In some cases, internal forces may also be included.

5. Can a free body diagram be used in any type of problem?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used in various types of problems, including statics, dynamics, and mechanics. It is a helpful tool in analyzing the forces and motion of a system in both two and three dimensions.