How Does the Transformation Matrix P Convert a Linear System to Canonical Form?

In summary, a linear system transformation is a mathematical process that maps one set of linear equations or vectors to another set of linear equations or vectors. It is commonly used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model and analyze real-world scenarios. Some common types of linear system transformations include translation, rotation, scaling, and shearing. The difference between a linear and non-linear system transformation lies in the principles of linearity and the complexity of the relationship between input and output values. Matrix operations, such as multiplication, addition, and inversion, are used to perform linear system transformations, making them essential in understanding and applying this concept.
X89codered89X
Hi there,

I have a linear algebra question relating actually to control systems (applied differential equations)

for the linear system

[itex]

{\dot{\vec{{x}}} = {\bf{A}}{\vec{{x}}} + {\bf{B}}}{\vec{{u}}}\\
\\

A \in \mathbb{R}^{ nxn }\\
B \in \mathbb{R}^{ nx1 }\\
[/itex]

In class, we formed a transformation matrix P using the controllability matrix [itex] M_c [/itex] as a basis (assuming it is full rank).
[itex]

M_c = [ {\bf{B \;AB \;A^2B\;...\;A^{n-1}B}}]
[/itex]

and there is a second matrix with a less established name. Given that the characteristic equation of the system is [itex] |I\lambda -A| = \lambda^n + \alpha_1 \lambda^{n-1} +... + \alpha_{n-1}\lambda + \alpha_n= 0 [/itex], we then construct a second matrix, call it M_2, which is given below.

[itex]
{\bf{M}}_2 =
\begin{bmatrix}
\alpha_{n-1} & \alpha_{n-2} & \cdots & \alpha_1 & 1 \\
\alpha_{n-2} & \cdots & \alpha_1 & 1 & 0 \\
\vdots & \alpha_1 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
\alpha_1 & 1 & 0 & \cdots & 0\\
1 & 0 & 0& \cdots & 0 \\
\end{bmatrix}

[/itex]

then the transformation matrix is then given by

[itex]

P^{-1} = M_c M_2

[/itex]

and then applying the transformation always gives.. and this is what I don't understand...

[itex]
{\overline{\bf{A}}} = {\bf{PAP}}^{-1} =

\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 1 & 0 & \cdots & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & \cdots & \vdots \\
\vdots & \vdots & 0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & \cdots &0& 1\\
-\alpha_{1} & -\alpha_{2} & \cdots & -\alpha_{n-1}& -\alpha_{n}\\
\end{bmatrix}

[/itex]

Now I'm just looking for intuition is to why this is true. I know that this only works if the controllability matrix is full rank, which can the be used as a basis for the new transformation, but I don't get how exactly the M_2 matrix is using it to transform into the canonical form... Can someone explain this to me? thanks...

Disclaimer: I posted this in another PF subforum, but I think I might do better in this section.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. I can definitely provide some insight into the intuition behind the transformation matrix P and the resulting canonical form of the system.

First, let's start with the controllability matrix M_c. This matrix is formed using the control inputs B and the system matrix A, and its purpose is to determine whether or not the system is controllable. If M_c is full rank, it means that every state of the system can be reached from every other state using the available control inputs. This is important because it allows us to manipulate the system into a simpler form.

Next, let's look at the second matrix M_2. This matrix is formed using the coefficients of the characteristic equation of the system. The characteristic equation is derived from the eigenvalues of the system matrix A, and it tells us about the stability and behavior of the system. By constructing M_2 in this way, we are essentially using the information from the characteristic equation to transform the system into a canonical form.

Now, onto P. The transformation matrix P is formed by multiplying M_c and M_2 together. This matrix essentially combines the information from the controllability matrix and the characteristic equation to transform the system into a canonical form. This form, as you have noticed, has a specific structure with 1's along the diagonal and the coefficients of the characteristic equation in the last row. This structure is important because it allows us to easily analyze and control the system.

In summary, the transformation matrix P is using the information from both the controllability matrix and the characteristic equation to transform the system into a canonical form. This form simplifies the analysis and control of the system, making it easier to understand and manipulate. I hope this helps to clarify the intuition behind this transformation. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to How Does the Transformation Matrix P Convert a Linear System to Canonical Form?

1. What is a linear system transformation?

A linear system transformation is a mathematical process that maps one set of linear equations or vectors to another set of linear equations or vectors. It involves multiplying each input value by a constant and adding it to a constant, resulting in a new set of values that meet certain criteria.

2. How are linear system transformations used in science?

Linear system transformations are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model and analyze real-world scenarios. They are also used in image and signal processing to transform and manipulate data.

3. What are some common types of linear system transformations?

Some common types of linear system transformations include translation, rotation, scaling, and shearing. These transformations can be applied to 2D or 3D objects and can be represented by matrices.

4. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear system transformation?

A linear system transformation follows the principles of linearity, which means that the output is directly proportional to the input. On the other hand, a non-linear system transformation does not follow this principle and may have a more complex relationship between the input and output values.

5. How do matrix operations relate to linear system transformations?

Matrix operations, such as multiplication, addition, and inversion, are used to perform linear system transformations. Matrices are a convenient way to represent and manipulate linear equations and vectors, making them essential in understanding and applying linear system transformations.