How does the swimmer analogy explain the movement of light in the ether?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "ether" as a medium through which light travels, as well as Michelson's "swimmer analogy." The question is posed as to how light with any component of motion in the "ether wind" direction could move without a deflection in path. The response explains that in this theory, the light would be deflected, but Michelson's experiment disproved this idea. The final clarification is made that light does not actually need a medium to travel.
Fawkes511
On the Ether "Swimmer Analogy"

I am a high school student working through Lillian Lieber's The Einstein Theory of Relativity. She addresses Michelson's "swimmer analogy" (that light traveling through the ether could be compared to a swimmer traveling in a stream). I am confused as to how, in this theory, light with any component of motion in the "ether wind" direction would be able to move without a "deflection" in path. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi, I am also a high school student but took Relativity last semester. By the way when you refer to ether what do you imply. Do u imply ether as being space or ether as being a stream of possible interference in space like light passing through a huge planet( gravitational field).

I mean "ether" as the medium through which light travels, as envisaged in Michelson's day (i.e. as a fixed frame of reference through which the Earth would move). Perhaps if I were to write "luminiferous aether," my meaning would be more apparent?

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but I think the answer is that the light *would* be deflected under this theory. When Michelson's experiment found that this didn't actually occur, it put a big hole in the whole idea of an "aether".

Ohh now i understand that was in a frame where space was flat so you but due to presence of planets, radiation anomalies, black holes and many other things light cannot therefore travel without a deflection.

correct me if am wrong about the ether

i mean your reference to medium throws it off balance because light itslef doesn't need a medium.

Related to How does the swimmer analogy explain the movement of light in the ether?

What is the "On the Ether Swimmer Analogy"?

The "On the Ether Swimmer Analogy" is a concept used to explain the nature of the ether, a hypothetical substance believed to fill the empty space between objects in the universe. It compares the movement of objects in the ether to that of a swimmer in water, suggesting that the ether behaves like a fluid medium.

Who came up with the "On the Ether Swimmer Analogy"?

The "On the Ether Swimmer Analogy" was first proposed by the ancient Greek philosopher, Aristotle. He used this analogy to explain the theory of natural motion and the concept of the ether as a medium for the movement of objects.

Is the "On the Ether Swimmer Analogy" still relevant in modern science?

The "On the Ether Swimmer Analogy" has been largely replaced by modern scientific theories and concepts, such as the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics. However, some aspects of the analogy, such as the idea of a medium for the propagation of light, are still relevant in certain branches of physics.

What are some criticisms of the "On the Ether Swimmer Analogy"?

One of the main criticisms of the "On the Ether Swimmer Analogy" is that it assumes the existence of the ether without providing any evidence or explanation for its properties. Additionally, the analogy does not fully account for the behavior of light and other electromagnetic waves, which do not require a medium for propagation.

How does the "On the Ether Swimmer Analogy" relate to other scientific concepts?

The "On the Ether Swimmer Analogy" has been used in various fields of science, such as physics, astronomy, and philosophy, to explain the behavior of objects and the nature of space. It has also influenced the development of other scientific theories, such as the wave theory of light and the concept of a universal medium in modern cosmology.