How Does the Supremum of -A Relate to Its Elements?

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
In summary: Next, suppose a' ∈ -A. Then -a' ∈ -A. So sup(-A) ≥ -a' . But sup( -A ) ≤ -a, so sup(-A) ≥ a.
Mr Davis 97
Given that ##A## is a nonempty set of real numbers, and that ##-A = \{-x ~ | ~ x \in A\}##, I want to show the following:

##\forall a' \in -A, ~ \sup (-A) \ge a'## implies that ##\forall a \in A, ~\sup (-A) \ge -a##.

This is intuitively obvious, as we just "replace" ##a'## with ##-a##. But I don't see how to make the switch from one to the other rigorously.

Physics news on Phys.org
Per definition we have ##\forall a \in A \,\exists \, a' \in -A \, : \, a'=-a \,\Longrightarrow \, \forall a \in A \,\exists \, a' \in -A \, : \, \operatorname{sup}(-A)\stackrel{given \, cond.}{\geq} a' = -a##

But I don't think this would be more helpful than a simple "thus".

This is a case where the abbreviations we use obscure the meaning and make things more difficult.

The symbol string
$$\forall x\in S, (P(x))$$
is actually shorthand for
$$\forall x(x\in S\to P(x))$$
So
$$\forall a' \in -A, \sup (-A) \ge a'$$
means
$$\forall a'(a' \in -A \to \sup (-A) \ge a')$$
which, by the definition ##-A\equiv\{x\ :\ -x\in A\}##, means
$$\forall a'(-a' \in A \to \sup (-A) \ge a')$$
We then write down an instance of the Axiom Schema of Substitution in which we substitute ##-a## for ##a'## in the consequent, to give us:
$$
(\forall a'(-a' \in A \to \sup (-A) \ge a'))
\to
(-(-a) \in A \to \sup (-A) \ge (-a))
$$
Using Modus Ponens on this and the previous line, and replacing ##-(-a)## by ##a## we get
$$a \in A \to \sup (-A) \ge -a$$
We then universally quantify ##a##, which we can do because it is a free variable in the formula, under the Axiom Schema of Restricted Generalisation. This gives
$$\forall a(a \in A \to \sup (-A) \ge -a)$$
which is what we sought to prove.

As usual, when we have to resort to formal logic, proofs get rather longer!

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
Per definition we have ##\forall a \in A \,\exists \, a' \in -A \, : \, a'=-a \,\Longrightarrow \, \forall a \in A \,\exists \, a' \in -A \, : \, \operatorname{sup}(-A)\stackrel{given \, cond.}{\geq} a' = -a##

But I don't think this would be more helpful than a simple "thus".
andrewkirk said:
This is a case where the abbreviations we use obscure the meaning and make things more difficult.

The symbol string
$$\forall x\in S, (P(x))$$
is actually shorthand for
$$\forall x(x\in S\to P(x))$$
So
$$\forall a' \in -A, \sup (-A) \ge a'$$
means
$$\forall a'(a' \in -A \to \sup (-A) \ge a')$$
which, by the definition ##-A\equiv\{x\ :\ -x\in A\}##, means
$$\forall a'(-a' \in A \to \sup (-A) \ge a')$$
We then write down an instance of the Axiom Schema of Substitution in which we substitute ##-a## for ##a'## in the consequent, to give us:
$$
(\forall a'(-a' \in A \to \sup (-A) \ge a'))
\to
(-(-a) \in A \to \sup (-A) \ge (-a))
$$
Using Modus Ponens on this and the previous line, and replacing ##-(-a)## by ##a## we get
$$a \in A \to \sup (-A) \ge -a$$
We then universally quantify ##a##, which we can do because it is a free variable in the formula, under the Axiom Schema of Restricted Generalisation. This gives
$$\forall a(a \in A \to \sup (-A) \ge -a)$$
which is what we sought to prove.

As usual, when we have to resort to formal logic, proofs get rather longer!
Since for my purposes that is a tinge too formal, how would you suppose that I write out such a step in a proof (where the proof involves showing that ##\inf A = - \sup (-A)##)? It it enough to just say that ##\forall a' \in -A, ~ \sup (-A) \ge a'## implies that ##\forall a \in A, ~\sup (-A) \ge -a##?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Since for my purposes that is a tinge too formal, how would you suppose that I write out such a step in a proof (where the proof involves showing that ##\inf A = - \sup (-A)##)? It it enough to just say that ##\forall a' \in -A, ~ \sup (-A) \ge a'## implies that ##\forall a \in A, ~\sup (-A) \ge -a##?
Yes, I think it is sufficient. I first had to write it down to "see" whether the signs are not confused, and came up with the explanation:
##\forall a' \in -A, ~ \operatorname{sup}(-A) \geq a'## is shorthanded ##\operatorname{sup}(-A) \geq -A## and then it is obvious that both inequalities express the same fact.

You can express the proof in simple steps. Suppose a ∈ A. Then -a ∈ -A. So sup( -A ) ≥ -a.

Related to How Does the Supremum of -A Relate to Its Elements?

1. How do I show a step rigorously in a scientific experiment or proof?

To show a step rigorously, you must provide a logical and systematic explanation of how you arrived at your conclusion. This includes clearly stating your assumptions, using established principles and theories, and providing evidence or data to support your reasoning.

2. Why is it important to show a step rigorously in scientific work?

Showing a step rigorously is important because it allows for transparency and reproducibility in scientific research. It allows others to understand and verify your work, and helps to avoid errors or biases in the process.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when showing a step rigorously?

Some common mistakes to avoid when showing a step rigorously include using vague or unsupported statements, skipping important details, and assuming prior knowledge on the part of the reader. It is important to be thorough and clear in your explanations.

4. How can I improve my ability to show a step rigorously?

To improve your ability to show a step rigorously, practice breaking down complex ideas into smaller, more manageable steps. Also, seek feedback from peers or mentors to ensure your reasoning is clear and logical. Additionally, reading and studying well-constructed scientific papers can provide good examples to follow.

5. Is it ever acceptable to skip showing a step rigorously?

In general, it is not acceptable to skip showing a step rigorously in scientific work. However, in cases where a step is well-established and widely accepted, it may be acceptable to reference previous work or use accepted conventions without providing a detailed explanation. In such cases, it is important to clearly state any assumptions or references made.