How Does the Outer Product Operate on Quantum Mechanical Operators?

In summary: A\otimesB)^TIn summary, the equation states that the angular momentum of a particle is equal to the sum of the angular momentum of the particle's left and right neighbors.
dipole
In my QM textbook, there's an equation written as:

[itex] \vec{J} = \vec{L}\otimes\vec{1} + \vec{S}\otimes\vec{1} [/itex]

referring to angular momentum operators (where [itex]\vec{1} [/itex] is the identity operator). I don't really understand what the outer product (which I'm assuming is what the symbol [itex]\otimes[/itex] means here) means when dealing with operators (which can be represented as matrices).

What happens when you outerproduct one operator with another? Unfortunately there is no explanation in the text, I guess it's assumed this is obvious or that the reader knows about this kind of math. :\

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\otimes[/tex] is not outer product. It is a tensor product.
Could you provide the context?
I am guessing that this means that you act the angular momentum operator only on the first particle but leave the second particle untouched.

First of all, I think that the formula should be J = L[itex]\otimes[/itex]1 + 1[itex]\otimes[/itex]S . About it's meaning, when you have two operators (say A and B) which operate on two, in general different, Hilbert spaces (say HA and HB), then you can create a new Hilbert space by the direct product of the two of them, H = HA[itex]\otimes[/itex]HB (the vectors of that new space are defined in this way:say ΨΑ[itex]\in[/itex]HA and ΨΒ[itex]\in[/itex]HΒ, then the vectors Ψ=ΨA[itex]\otimes[/itex]ΨB for all ΨA and ΨB are the vectors of H. ΨA[itex]\otimes[/itex]ΨB is a new item that has two independent parts, ΨA and ΨB , pretty much like when you have two reals a and b, you can create a new item (a,b) which represents a point in a plane) . The operators on this new Hilbert space are then created by the direct product of the operators that operate in the two initial spaces, i.e. O = A[itex]\otimes[/itex]B , where this new operator is defined by:
O Ψ [itex]\equiv[/itex](A[itex]\otimes[/itex]B) (ΨA[itex]\otimes[/itex]ΨB) = (AΨA)[itex]\otimes([/itex]BΨB).
When the operators are represented by matrices, then the matrix A[itex]\otimes[/itex]B is defined as:
[A[itex]\otimes[/itex]B]aa',bb' = Aaa'Bbb'

Related to How Does the Outer Product Operate on Quantum Mechanical Operators?

1. What is the purpose of using outer product on operators?

The outer product on operators is used to combine two operators in a way that creates a new operator. This new operator is called the outer product operator and it can be used to perform operations on vectors and matrices.

2. How is outer product on operators different from inner product?

The outer product on operators is different from inner product in that it produces a new operator that can be used to perform operations on vectors and matrices, while the inner product produces a scalar value that represents the similarity between two vectors.

3. Can outer product on operators be applied to non-numerical data?

Yes, outer product on operators can be applied to non-numerical data as long as the data can be represented as a vector or matrix. This includes data such as text, images, and audio.

4. What are some common applications of outer product on operators?

Outer product on operators has various applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and machine learning. It can be used for tasks such as feature extraction, data compression, and pattern recognition.

5. How does the size of the operands affect the resulting outer product operator?

The size of the operands does not affect the resulting outer product operator. The outer product operator will have the same size as the larger of the two operands. For example, if one operand is a 3x2 matrix and the other is a 2x4 matrix, the resulting outer product operator will be a 3x4 matrix.