How Does the Interval Affect the Unique Solution of an Initial Value Problem?

• MHB
  • Thread starter find_the_fun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interval Ivp
In summary, the answer to the question is that a unique solution exists for the given initial value problem when the interval is centered about x=0. The solution is given by $y(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_{n}\ x^{n}$.
find_the_fun
Find an interval centered about x=0 for which the given initial value problem has a unique solution.

\(\displaystyle (x-2)y''+3y=x\) where \(\displaystyle y(0)=0\) and \(\displaystyle y'(0)=1\)

I've seen the answer on a few different sites (1)(2) and still don't get it :mad:

The question speaks of a unique solution with regards to an interval: what does interval have to do with unique solutions? Well in my textbook we're presented with Existence of Unique Solution theorem which I kind of don't get. It states

Let \(\displaystyle a_n(x),a_{n-1}(x),...,a_1(x),a_0(x)\) and \(\displaystyle g(x)\) be continuous on an interval I and let \(\displaystyle a_n(x) \neq 0\) for every \(\displaystyle x\) in this interval. If \(\displaystyle x=x_0\) is any point in this interval then a solution \(\displaystyle y(x) \)of the initial value problem exists on the interval and is unique.

All this theorem says is lists some random terms that are continuous and says there's a unique solution, there are no action items.

EDIT: why divide the question by (x-2) and not 3? Why is it we're trying to make y'' have 1 as it's coefficient and not y?

What would the answer be to \(\displaystyle (x-2)y''+(x-3)y=x\) where \(\displaystyle y(0)=0\) and \(\displaystyle y'(0)=1\)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
find_the_fun said:
Find an interval centered about x=0 for which the given initial value problem has a unique solution.

\(\displaystyle (x-2)y''+3y=x\) where \(\displaystyle y(0)=0\) and \(\displaystyle y'(0)=1\)

I've seen the answer on a few different sites (1)(2) and still don't get it :mad:

The question speaks of a unique solution with regards to an interval: what does interval have to do with unique solutions? Well in my textbook we're presented with Existence of Unique Solution theorem which I kind of don't get. It states

Let \(\displaystyle a_n(x),a_{n-1}(x),...,a_1(x),a_0(x)\) and \(\displaystyle g(x)\) be continuous on an interval I and let \(\displaystyle a_n(x) \neq 0\) for every \(\displaystyle x\) in this interval. If \(\displaystyle x=x_0\) is any point in this interval then a solution \(\displaystyle y(x) \)of the initial value problem exists on the interval and is unique.

All this theorem says is lists some random terms that are continuous and says there's a unique solution, there are no action items.

EDIT: why divide the question by (x-2) and not 3? Why is it we're trying to make y'' have 1 as it's coefficient and not y?

What would the answer be to \(\displaystyle (x-2)y''+(x-3)y=x\) where \(\displaystyle y(0)=0\) and \(\displaystyle y'(0)=1\)?

Let's write the ODE as...

$\displaystyle y^{\ ''} + \frac{3}{x-2}\ y = \frac{x}{x-2}\ ,\ y(0)=0\ ,\ y^{\ '}(0)=1\ (1)$

This ODE has a [regular...] singular point in x=2, so that in x=0 it has an analytic solution...

$\displaystyle y(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_{n}\ x^{n}\ (2)$

A first question: how to find the $a_{n}$?... the initial conditions permit us to find $a_{0}=0$ and $a_{1}=1$. From the (1) we derive...

$\displaystyle y^{\ ''} = \frac{x - 3\ y}{x-2} \implies y^{\ ''} (0) = 0 \implies a_{2}=0\ (3)$

$\displaystyle y^{\ '''} = \frac{1 - 3\ y^{\ '}}{x-2} - \frac{x - 3\ y}{(x-2)^{2}} \implies y^{\ '''} (0)=1 \implies a_{3} = \frac{1}{6}\ (4)$

... and so one. A second question: what is the convergence interval of (2)?... the fact that x=2 is a singular point means that the series converges for $-2 < x < 2$. For saying what happens outside this interval we have to analyse better the solution...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to How Does the Interval Affect the Unique Solution of an Initial Value Problem?

1. What is an IVP (Initial Value Problem)?

An IVP is a type of differential equation that involves finding a function that satisfies a given set of conditions, typically a value for the function and its derivative at a specific point. It is used to model a wide range of physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is finding the interval for an IVP important?

The interval for an IVP is important because it determines the domain of the solution function. Without knowing the interval, the solution may not be valid or accurate. Additionally, knowing the interval can help determine the behavior of the solution function and its critical points.

3. How do you find the interval for an IVP?

To find the interval for an IVP, you must first solve the differential equation and find the general solution. Then, use the initial conditions to solve for any unknown constants in the general solution. The resulting solution will be valid for the interval that satisfies the initial conditions.

4. Can the interval for an IVP be negative?

Yes, the interval for an IVP can be negative. The interval depends on the initial conditions and the behavior of the solution function, which can be negative if the initial conditions are negative. It is important to consider the sign of the initial conditions when determining the interval for an IVP.

5. What happens if the interval for an IVP is not specified?

If the interval for an IVP is not specified, it is important to consider the behavior of the solution function and the initial conditions. The solution may not be valid or accurate if the interval is not taken into account. It is best to specify the interval or to find the largest possible interval for which the solution is valid.