How Does the Feynman Paradox Apply to Solenoid Flux Calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a solenoid being turned off and the resulting charge observed. The goal is to find the initial value of A using the given data and equations. The student attempted to solve the problem but was unsure of where to start in the fourth step. The conversation also clarifies the equations and their proper use.
tzzzsh
I am currently going through a friend's Mechanics II notes and homework before I take the course at a different university next semester. I have a few problems that I am having trouble understanding and am posting here for help.

1. Homework Statement

1. A solenoid is on, Flux is Φ.
2. The solenoid is turned off. A charge of Δmv = eΦ/2πr is observed.
3. Find A(initial) assuming A(final) = 0 from this data.
4. Show that A(initial) is consistent with ∫A*dx = ∫d2x∇xA = ∫d2x*B = Φ

Homework Equations

Φ = ∫d2x*B
∇xE = =d/dt∇xA = -dB/dt
dmv/dt-eE = e dA/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

3. dmv/dt-eE = e*dA/dt => mv-e∫E*dx = eA => mv/e-A = ∫E*dx = -dΦ/dt => A(initial) - mv/e = A final = 0 => A(inital) = mv/e
A(initial) = mΦ/2πr
4. I'm not sure where to start here.

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing the Lorentz force is ##F= q(E+v\times B)##;
and in your three you are missing the curl of A, and btw it should be ##\nabla \times A = B##, without the minus sign as you wrote over there.

Another thing, your integral should be with respect to ##dt##, i.e. ##\int curl A dt##.

Related to How Does the Feynman Paradox Apply to Solenoid Flux Calculations?

What is Mechanics II: Feynman Paradox?

Mechanics II: Feynman Paradox is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and forces acting upon them, based on the theories and principles developed by physicist Richard Feynman.

What are the main concepts of Mechanics II: Feynman Paradox?

The main concepts of Mechanics II: Feynman Paradox include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, rotational motion, and the application of these concepts to complex systems.

How is Mechanics II: Feynman Paradox different from Mechanics I?

Mechanics II: Feynman Paradox builds upon the principles and theories introduced in Mechanics I, but delves deeper into more complex systems and phenomena, including quantum mechanics and relativity.

What are the real-world applications of Mechanics II: Feynman Paradox?

Mechanics II: Feynman Paradox has many practical applications, including the design and analysis of structures and machines, understanding the behavior of fluids and gases, and predicting the motion of celestial bodies.

What are some resources for learning more about Mechanics II: Feynman Paradox?

There are many resources available for learning more about Mechanics II: Feynman Paradox, including textbooks, online courses, and lectures by experts in the field. Some recommended resources include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, and online courses from institutions such as MIT and Coursera.