How Does the Fermi Wave Vector of Sodium Compare to Its Brillouin Zone Boundary?

In summary, the post discusses the calculation of the Fermi wave vector for sodium, a free electron metal with a bcc structure and a lattice parameter of 4.23 Angstrom. The post also explains the concept of Fermi energy and Fermi level, and how to calculate the Fermi wave vector using the formula (4/3)πkF^3 = (N/L)(2π/L)^3. It then proceeds to explain the construction of the Brillouin zone using the reciprocal lattice, and how to compare the Fermi wave vector with the distance to the Brillouin zone boundary closest to the origin. The result shows that the Fermi wave vector is slightly smaller than the distance to the Brillouin
Rory9

Homework Statement

Treating Sodium (Na, bcc, a= 4.23 Angstrom) as a free electron metal with a single valence electron per atom, calc. the Fermi wave vector and compare with the distance to the Brillouine zone boundary closest to the origin.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have obtained the Fermi wave vector via

[tex](4/3)\pi k_{F}^{3} = (N/L)(2\pi/L)^{3}[/tex]

and obtain 0.92 inverse Angstrom.

For the Brill. zone, I understand that this must be constructed from the reciprocal lattice, and I have found (using [tex]a_{1}^{*} = (2\pi/V)(a_{2} \times a_{3})[/tex] that this gives an fcc set of lattice vectors (but perhaps this move was unnecessary?).

I have been given the hint that [tex]|a^{*}| = 4\pi / a[/tex], but when I determine the magnitude of my [tex]a_{1}^{*}[/tex] I find it to be a factor of root 2 less than this.

Is there some simple formula that is being used here to decide what the lattice width must be for this Wigner-Seitz cell? Should I think of the 'origin' as being at the centre of this cell. I'm not sure what it is I should be doing in order to 'compare with the distance to the Brillouine zone boundary closest to the origin'.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. In order to calculate the Fermi wave vector for sodium, we first need to understand the concept of Fermi energy and Fermi level. Fermi energy is the maximum energy that an electron in a solid can have at absolute zero temperature, while Fermi level is the energy level at which the probability of finding an electron is equal to 1/2. In a free electron metal, the Fermi level lies at the top of the energy band.

To calculate the Fermi wave vector, we can use the formula you have mentioned:

(4/3)πkF^3 = (N/L)(2π/L)^3

where N is the number of electrons, and L is the length of the metal. For sodium, we have 1 valence electron per atom, so N = 1. The length of the metal can be calculated using the lattice parameter a = 4.23 Angstrom. Therefore, L = Na = 4.23 Angstrom.

Substituting these values in the formula, we get:

(4/3)πkF^3 = (1/4.23)(2π/4.23)^3

Solving for kF, we get:

kF = (3/4)×(1/4.23)^(1/3)π^(2/3) = 0.92 Å^-1

Now, for the Brillouin zone boundary, we need to consider the reciprocal lattice of the bcc structure. The reciprocal lattice of bcc is also bcc, with lattice parameter a* = 4π/a = 4π/4.23 = 0.94 Å. This means that the Brillouin zone boundary is located at a distance of 0.94 Å from the origin.

Therefore, we can see that the Fermi wave vector (0.92 Å^-1) is slightly smaller than the distance to the Brillouin zone boundary (0.94 Å). This makes sense because the Fermi level lies at the top of the energy band, which means that the Fermi wave vector will be slightly smaller than the distance to the Brillouin zone boundary.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work!Scientist

Related to How Does the Fermi Wave Vector of Sodium Compare to Its Brillouin Zone Boundary?

What is the Wigner-Seitz cell?

The Wigner-Seitz cell is a geometric construction in the study of crystalline structures. It represents the region of space around a particular lattice point that is closer to that point than any other point in the crystal lattice.

What is the significance of the Wigner-Seitz cell?

The Wigner-Seitz cell is important because it helps us understand the arrangement of atoms in a crystal lattice. It can also help us predict physical and chemical properties of materials based on their crystal structures.

What affects the size of a Wigner-Seitz cell?

The size of a Wigner-Seitz cell is determined by the arrangement and spacing of atoms in the crystal lattice. It can also be affected by external factors, such as temperature and pressure.

How is the width of a Wigner-Seitz cell calculated?

The width of a Wigner-Seitz cell is calculated by finding the distance from a lattice point to its nearest neighboring lattice points. This distance is known as the lattice constant or lattice parameter.

Can the width of a Wigner-Seitz cell vary in different crystal structures?

Yes, the width of a Wigner-Seitz cell can vary in different crystal structures. This is because different crystal structures have different arrangements and spacing of atoms, leading to different sizes of Wigner-Seitz cells.