How Does the Driven Oscillator ODE Describe Long-Term Motion?

In summary, the equation mx'' + kx = F0 * Sin (wt) governs the motion of an undamped harmonic oscillator driven by a sinusoidal force of angular frequency w. The steady-state solution is x = F0 * Sin (wt) /(m * (w0^2 - w^2)). To find this solution, substitute the expressions for x and x'' into the original differential equation.
Eric_meyers

Homework Statement

"The equation mx'' + kx = F0 * Sin (wt) governs the motion of an undamped harmonic oscillator driven by a sinusoidal force of angular frequency w. Show that the steady-state solution is

x = F0 * Sin (wt) /(m * (w0^2 - w^2))

Homework Equations

x(t) = xta(t) + xtr(t) where xta = long term behavior and xtr = transient piece of solution

xta(t) x0 cos (wt - (phi)

where x0 = w0^2 X0/[(w0^2 - w^2)^2 + v^2*w^2]^1/2

and phi = tan^-1(vw/(w0^2 - w^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I'm not sure if the above equations are necessary. All my lecture notes tell me is that the long term behavior follows x0 * cos(wt - (phi)) so I'm not sure how I'm suppose to take that and turn it into F0 * Sin (wt) /(m * (w0^2 - w^2))

I mean obviously I have a sin force driving my harmonic oscillator, but how do I use that to determine my long term solution?

I really can't go much further than this at this point, I've been looking at this problem for a long time now and I can't scrap together anything useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eric_meyers said:

Homework Statement

"The equation mx'' + kx = F0 * Sin (wt) governs the motion of an undamped harmonic oscillator driven by a sinusoidal force of angular frequency w. Show that the steady-state solution is

x = F0 * Sin (wt) /(m * (w0^2 - w^2))

How about substituting this expression for x, and also the expression for x'', into the original differential equation?

Dear Student,

The equation you provided is known as the driven oscillator ODE, and it governs the motion of an undamped harmonic oscillator driven by a sinusoidal force of angular frequency w. It is important to note that this equation is a second-order differential equation, which means that it has two solutions: a transient solution and a steady-state solution. The transient solution describes the initial behavior of the system, while the steady-state solution describes the long-term behavior.

To find the steady-state solution, we can use the principle of superposition, which states that the total solution of a linear system is the sum of its individual solutions. In this case, the total solution can be written as the sum of the transient solution and the long-term solution:

x(t) = xtr(t) + xta(t)

where xtr is the transient solution and xta is the long-term solution. We can rewrite the equation as:

x(t) = x0 cos (wt - (phi)) + xta(t)

where x0 is the amplitude of the transient solution and phi is the phase angle. Now, let's focus on the long-term solution, which is given by:

xta(t) = F0 * Sin (wt) /(m * (w0^2 - w^2))

where F0 is the amplitude of the driving force, m is the mass of the oscillator, w0 is the natural frequency of the oscillator, and w is the frequency of the driving force.

To derive this solution, we can use the method of undetermined coefficients. This method allows us to find a particular solution that satisfies the given equation. In this case, we can assume that the long-term solution has the form:

xta(t) = A * Sin (wt) + B * Cos (wt)

where A and B are constants to be determined. Substituting this into the original equation, we get:

mx'' + kx = F0 * Sin (wt)

which simplifies to:

mw^2(A * Sin (wt) + B * Cos (wt)) + k(A * Sin (wt) + B * Cos (wt)) = F0 * Sin (wt)

Equating the coefficients of Sin (wt) and Cos (wt), we get two equations:

mw^2A + kB = 0

and

-kA + mw^2B = F0

Solving these equations for A and B, we get:

A

Related to How Does the Driven Oscillator ODE Describe Long-Term Motion?

1. What is a driven oscillator ODE?

A driven oscillator ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a physical system that is subject to a driving force. It is typically used to analyze the behavior of systems such as mass-spring systems or electrical circuits.

2. How is a driven oscillator ODE different from a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a type of driven oscillator in which the driving force is sinusoidal and the system is linear. A driven oscillator ODE can also include nonlinearities and more complex driving forces, making it a more general model for analyzing systems.

3. What are the main components of a driven oscillator ODE?

The main components of a driven oscillator ODE are the mass or inertia of the system, the restoring force from a spring or other element, the damping force, and the driving force. These components can be represented by variables in the equation and their values affect the behavior of the system.

4. How is a driven oscillator ODE solved?

A driven oscillator ODE can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, or numerical methods. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy in the solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of driven oscillator ODE?

Driven oscillator ODEs have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and biology. They can be used to understand the behavior of mechanical systems, electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and biological processes such as heartbeats and brain activity.