How Does the Doppler Effect Alter Frequencies of a Moving Whistle?

In summary, we have a whistle moving in a circle of radius 73.2 cm at an angular speed of 16.1 rad/s with a frequency of 577 Hz. The linear velocity is 11.7852 m/s, and the highest and lowest frequencies heard by a listener at rest with respect to the center of the circle are 597.53 Hz and 557.833 Hz, respectively. However, it was later found that these answers were incorrect due to submitting the solutions in the wrong order.
danago
Gold Member
A whistle of frequency 577 Hz moves in a circle of radius 73.2 cm at an angular speed of 16.1 rad/s. What are (a) the lowest and (b) the highest frequencies heard by a listener a long distance away, at rest with respect to the center of the circle? (Take the speed of sound in air to be 343 m/s.)
The linear velocity of the whistle is given by:

[tex]
v = r\omega = (0.732)(16.1) = 11.7852ms^{ - 1}
[/tex]

The component of the velocity in the direction of the listener is at a maximum/minimum when it moves directly towards/away from the listener, with the velocity in this direction being 11.7852m/s.

The greatest frequency will be heard when the velocity of the whistle towards the listener is greatest, thus the effective frequency will be:

[tex]
f' = 577 \times \frac{{343}}{{343 - 11.7852}} = 597.53Hz
[/tex]

The smallest frequency will be heard when the velocity of the whistle towards the listener is smallest, or when the whistle moves away from the listener with greatest velocity, thus the effective frequency will be:

[tex]
f' = 577 \times \frac{{343}}{{343 + 11.7852}} = 557.833Hz
[/tex]

According to the solutions, those answers are incorrect. Anyone able to shed some light on where my reasoning is flawed?

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah nevermind, i just realized that i was submitting the solutions the wrong way round, giving the highest one instead of the lowest one. Guess that's i sign i should head off to bed :rolleyes:

Hello Dan,

Your reasoning is correct, but there is a slight mistake in your calculations. The velocity of the whistle towards the listener should be 11.7852 m/s, not 11.7852 cm/s. This would give us the correct frequencies of 597.53 Hz and 557.833 Hz, respectively.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work in your scientific studies.

Best,

Related to How Does the Doppler Effect Alter Frequencies of a Moving Whistle?

1. What is the Doppler Effect of a whistle?

The Doppler Effect of a whistle is a phenomenon where the frequency of a sound appears to change for an observer when the source of the sound is in motion. This is caused by the compression and expansion of sound waves as the source moves towards or away from the observer.

2. How does the Doppler Effect of a whistle work?

The Doppler Effect of a whistle works by changing the frequency of sound waves as the source of the sound moves. As the source moves towards the observer, the sound waves are compressed, causing a higher frequency. As the source moves away, the sound waves are expanded, resulting in a lower frequency.

3. What factors affect the Doppler Effect of a whistle?

The factors that affect the Doppler Effect of a whistle include the speed and direction of the source, the speed of sound in the medium, and the distance between the source and the observer. The relative motion between the source and the observer also plays a role.

4. How is the Doppler Effect of a whistle used in real life?

The Doppler Effect of a whistle is used in many real-life applications, such as in weather forecasting to track the movement of storms and in sonar technology to detect the presence of objects underwater. It is also used in medical imaging to measure blood flow and in radar technology to detect the speed of moving objects.

5. Can the Doppler Effect of a whistle be observed with light waves?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be observed with light waves as well. This is known as the optical Doppler Effect and is used in astronomy to measure the movement of stars and galaxies. It is also used in police radar guns to measure the speed of moving vehicles.