How does the curl equation measure rotation?

In summary: Could you give a bit more detail on how the curl of A=(-y,x,0) is in the z-direction?In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of curl in a 2D vector field and its relationship to rotation about a point. The curl is defined as the sum of the rate of change of the j component with respect to x and the rate of change of the i component with respect to y. This can be visualized as the difference of flux entering/leaving along the x-axis and y-axis, indicating rotation in the field. Examples are given to show that the definition of curl is sensible, such as the curl of a constant vector field being zero and the curl of a field with rotational motion being in
autodidude
For a 2D vector field [tex]{F}=P(x,y)\vec{i}+Q(x,y)\vec{j}[/tex]

[tex]curl {F} = \frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial P}{\partial y}\vec{k}[/tex]

So that's the rate of change of the j component of a field vector with respect to x plus the rate of change of the i component with respect to y...how does this measure the rotation about a point (x,y)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey autodidude.

Is it possible for you to consider the cross product in terms A X B = ||a||*||b||*n*sin(theta) where n is a normal vector and theta is the angle between the two vectors?

You should check your signs, there is a negative sign in the differential definition of the curl.

When you put the correct sign in you will see that the curl can be considered as the difference of flux entering/leaving along the x-axis and y axis.
ie it is the flux diverted from one axis to the other.
Rotation is the only way to achieve this.

You should note that the curl is twice the angular speed of rotation of a rigid body or twice the rotation rate of a vector field. In fluid mechanics it is called the vorticity or rot.

Last edited:
I'm curious how people visualize the field itself rotating. I'm more familiar with the picture of of a small test apparatus consisting of "test" objects on the end of 3 perpendicular arms that turn on a "ball joint" where the arms meet. The field exerts a force on the objects to twist the apparatus about the ball joint. To find the curl exactly at the pivot, you take the limit of how the apparatus twists as the length of the arms approaches zero.

autodidude said:
how does this measure the rotation about a point (x,y)?

I think what you're probably after is Stokes' theorem - try the Wikipedia page but skip to section 5, which they refer to as the Kelvin-Stokes theorem. By this, i mean that the integral ∫A.dr of the vector field around a closed loop intuitively has something to do with how the field is "rotating" on the surface enclosed. (Not so obvious if the enclosed surface chosen is not flat, but since the thread started with a 2D vector field i think we can restrict ourselves to flat surfaces).

As for motivational examples: it's easy to show (once you have the correct definition of curl!) that:
1) The curl of a constant vector field is zero (trivial, but confirms what you'd expect);
2) The curl of a radial field is zero - for example the curl of the vector field f(r)=r is zero, as you'd expect;
3) Consider a field which, if it corresponded to the velocity field of a fluid, would have the fluid rotating about the z-axis, for example A=(-y,x,0) in Cartesians. The curl of this field is constant and in the z-direction.
I think these examples at least show that the definition is sensible.

chiro said:
Hey autodidude.

Is it possible for you to consider the cross product in terms A X B = ||a||*||b||*n*sin(theta) where n is a normal vector and theta is the angle between the two vectors?

I'm not sure how you would visualise the del operator as a vector...isn't the cross product just a handy formula just a handy way to calculate the curl though?

Studiot said:
You should check your signs, there is a negative sign in the differential definition of the curl.

When you put the correct sign in you will see that the curl can be considered as the difference of flux entering/leaving along the x-axis and y axis.
ie it is the flux diverted from one axis to the other.
Rotation is the only way to achieve this.

You should note that the curl is twice the angular speed of rotation of a rigid body or twice the rotation rate of a vector field. In fluid mechanics it is called the vorticity or rot.

Sorry, my mistake! I did mean minus...(rate of change of the j component of a field vector with respect to x MINUS the rate of change of the i component of a field vector with respect to y). Could you maybe elaborate on the bolded bit? I'm still having a bit of trouble visualising this and relating it to the formula.

psmt said:
As for motivational examples: it's easy to show (once you have the correct definition of curl!) that:
1) The curl of a constant vector field is zero (trivial, but confirms what you'd expect);
2) The curl of a radial field is zero - for example the curl of the vector field f(r)=r is zero, as you'd expect;
3) Consider a field which, if it corresponded to the velocity field of a fluid, would have the fluid rotating about the z-axis, for example A=(-y,x,0) in Cartesians. The curl of this field is constant and in the z-direction.
I think these examples at least show that the definition is sensible.

Yeah, it does but at the moment I'm trying to get a picture just from what the equation itself says and try to visualise that

Related to How does the curl equation measure rotation?

1. How does the curl equation measure rotation?

The curl equation is a mathematical expression that measures the rotation or circulation of a vector field. It is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the vector field with respect to each coordinate axis and then taking the cross product of these derivatives. The resulting vector represents the amount and direction of rotation at a particular point in the field.

2. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that assigns a vector to each point in a given space. This vector can represent physical quantities such as velocity or force, or abstract concepts such as direction and magnitude. In the context of the curl equation, the vector field represents a flow or movement of a substance or energy.

3. How is the curl equation used in physics?

The curl equation is used in physics to describe and analyze various phenomena that involve rotation, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It allows scientists to calculate the strength and direction of rotation in a given system, which can provide valuable insights into the behavior and properties of that system.

4. Can the curl equation be applied to three-dimensional systems?

Yes, the curl equation can be applied to systems with any number of dimensions. In three-dimensional systems, the partial derivatives are taken with respect to all three coordinate axes. The resulting vector will also have three components, representing the rotation in each direction.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions associated with the curl equation?

The curl equation is based on certain assumptions, such as the continuity and differentiability of the vector field. It also assumes that the field is conservative, meaning that its circulation around a closed loop is equal to zero. These assumptions may not hold in all physical systems, so the curl equation may not accurately describe the rotation in those cases.