How Does the Angular Momentum Commutator Derive the Lorentz Algebra?

In summary, Peskin and Schroeder explain that the cross product between position and momentum, ##{\bf{J}}={\bf{x}} \times{\bf{p}}= {\bf{x}}\times(-i \nabla)##, can be used to derive the Lorentz algebra for the rotation group, ##[J^{i},J^{j}] = i \epsilon^{ijk}J^{k}##. The conversation then discusses the steps for proving this using the explicit expressions for ##J^{i}## and ##J^{j}## and the use of the Levi-Civita symbol. The final solution can be found in the provided link.
spaghetti3451
In page 39, Peskin and Schroeder write that (3.15) ##{\bf{J}}={\bf{x}} \times{\bf{p}}= {\bf{x}}\times(-i \nabla) ## can be used to derive the Lorentz algebra (3.12) for the rotation group: ##[J^{i},J^{j}] = i \epsilon^{ijk}J^{k}##.

I am trying to prove it. Here's my attempt. Can you please suggest the next steps?

##[J^{i},J^{j}] = J^{i}J^{j} - J^{j}J^{i} = (\epsilon^{ijk}x^{j}\nabla^{k})(\epsilon^{jki}x^{k}\nabla^{i}) - (\epsilon^{jki}x^{k}\nabla^{i})(\epsilon^{ijk}x^{j}\nabla^{k})##.

Where do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just put a scalar wave function to the right of the expression and do the differentiation. Then use
$$\epsilon^{jkl} \epsilon^{jmn}=\delta^{km} \delta^{ln}-\delta^{kn} \delta^{lm}$$
and further contractions. It's a bit lengthy but not diffcult.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm just not really sure if my choices of indices in ##(\epsilon^{ijk}x^{j}\nabla^{k})(\epsilon^{jki}x^{k}\nabla^{i}) - (\epsilon^{jki}x^{k}\nabla^{i})(\epsilon^{ijk}x^{j}\nabla^{k})## is sound. I mean, I used the same indices for ##J^{i}## and ##J^{j}##'s expanded expressions.

Should I rather do the following?

##[J^{i},J^{j}] = J^{i}J^{j} - J^{j}J^{i} = (\epsilon^{ikl}x^{k}\nabla^{l})(\epsilon^{jmn}x^{m}\nabla^{n}) - (\epsilon^{jmn}x^{m}\nabla^{n})(\epsilon^{ikl}x^{k}\nabla^{l})##.

Related to How Does the Angular Momentum Commutator Derive the Lorentz Algebra?

1. What is the significance of page 38 in Peskin and Schroeder?

Page 38 in Peskin and Schroeder is significant because it introduces the concept of the propagator, which is a fundamental tool in quantum field theory. The propagator allows us to calculate the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one point to another in spacetime.

2. How does page 38 relate to the rest of the book?

Page 38 is the starting point for understanding the mathematics and concepts used throughout the rest of the book. It lays the foundation for calculating scattering amplitudes and understanding the behavior of quantum fields.

3. Is page 38 difficult to understand for beginners?

Page 38 can be challenging for beginners, as it introduces new mathematical concepts and notation. However, with careful study and practice, it can be understood by those with a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and special relativity.

4. Can page 38 be skipped?

It is not recommended to skip page 38, as it sets the foundation for understanding the rest of the book. Skipping this section may lead to confusion and difficulty in following the later chapters.

5. Are there any resources available for further understanding page 38?

Yes, there are various online resources such as video lectures, study guides, and practice problems that can aid in understanding page 38 and the concepts presented in Peskin and Schroeder. Additionally, consulting with a professor or tutor can also be helpful in clarifying any confusion or questions.