How Does Speed Affect Normal Force at the Crest of a Hill?

In summary, the question asks for the normal force acting on a 1300 kg car traveling at 25 m/s at the crest of a hill with a radius of curvature of 120m. The correct approach is to treat this as a vertical circular motion problem, as the acceleration is not zero and the Normal Force is not equal to the gravitational force.
Fresh Coffee

Homework Statement

A 1300 kg car is traveling at 25 m/s as it passes the crest of a hill that has a radius of curvature of 120m. Determine the normal force acting on the car at the crest of the hill.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for horizontal surfaces the Normal Force is equal and opposite to the force of gravity. So I figured out the force of gravity (mg) but am unsure if this is right because I am not sure if this is a horizontal surface in the question. The question does mention the crest of a hill so do I treat this like a vertical circular motion question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fresh Coffee said:

Homework Statement

A 1300 kg car is traveling at 25 m/s as it passes the crest of a hill that has a radius of curvature of 120m. Determine the normal force acting on the car at the crest of the hill.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for horizontal surfaces the Normal Force is equal and opposite to the force of gravity. So I figured out the force of gravity (mg) but am unsure if this is right because I am not sure if this is a horizontal surface in the question.
That's not the correct answer.

The question does mention the crest of a hill so do I treat this like a vertical circular motion question?
Yes. Treat this is vertical circular motion. The acceleration is not zero so the Normal Force is not equal to the gravitational force.

Related to How Does Speed Affect Normal Force at the Crest of a Hill?

1. What is the normal force on a car?

The normal force on a car is the force exerted by the ground or surface on the car in a direction perpendicular to the surface. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the weight of the car.

2. How does the normal force affect a car's motion?

The normal force is an important factor in determining the motion of a car. It helps to keep the car stable and provides the necessary support for the car to move forward. Without the normal force, the car would not be able to move or turn properly.

3. How is the normal force calculated?

The normal force is calculated by multiplying the mass of the car by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This is because the normal force is equal to the weight of the car, which is equal to mass multiplied by gravity.

4. What factors can affect the normal force on a car?

The normal force on a car can be affected by several factors such as the weight of the car, the slope of the surface it is on, and the type of tires on the car. The normal force will increase if the car is heavier or the surface is steeper. It will decrease if the car is lighter or the surface is flatter.

5. How does the normal force change when a car is accelerating or decelerating?

The normal force on a car will change when the car is accelerating or decelerating. When the car is accelerating, the normal force will increase because the car's weight is being supported by the ground and the force of the car's engine pushing it forward. When the car is decelerating, the normal force will decrease because the car's weight is no longer being supported by the ground, but rather by the car's brakes.