How Does Side Length Influence Electric Flux Through a Cube?

In summary, the electric flux through the surface of the cube with a point charge of 6.50 nC at its center is 734.5. The electric flux through one of the six faces is 122.4. The calculations were done using the total flux equation and the flux through one face equation, respectively. The side length of the cube was not needed for the calculations.
kirby2
A point charge 6.50 nC is at the center of a cube with sides of length 0.260 m.

PART A: What is the electric flux through the surface of the cube?

PART B: What is the electric flux through one of the six faces of the cube?

ATTEMPT:

A)
Total flux enclosed by the cube = Q / eo
6.5E-9/8.85 x 10^-12= 734.5

B)
flux through one of the six faces is
= Q / 6 eo
so 734.5/6 = 122.4

with the exception of units, are these right? i think I'm doing it wrong because i didn't use the side length in any of the calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi kirvy2! :wink:
kirby2 said:
… i think I'm doing it wrong because i didn't use the side length in any of the calculations.

no, your method is fine :smile:

Agreed. It is one of the interesting things about the Coulombic force :) Maybe they were throwing you a red herring by giving you the length of the sides.

Related to How Does Side Length Influence Electric Flux Through a Cube?

What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of electric field through a given surface. It is calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the surface area and the cosine of the angle between the field and the surface.

What is a cube?

A cube is a three-dimensional shape with six square faces, all of which are equal in size. It is a type of regular polyhedron and is often used to represent objects in mathematics and science.

How is electric flux through a cube calculated?

The electric flux through a cube can be calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field vector and the normal vector of each face of the cube, and then summing these values for all six faces.

What factors affect the electric flux through a cube?

The electric flux through a cube can be affected by the strength and direction of the electric field, the size and orientation of the cube, and the material properties of the cube.

How is the direction of the electric flux through a cube determined?

The direction of the electric flux through a cube is determined by the direction of the electric field and the orientation of the cube. The flux will be positive if the electric field and the normal vector of the face are in the same direction, and negative if they are in opposite directions.