How does rotational acceleration affect different sized tires?

In summary, the moment of inertia of a rotating object is related to the mass moment of inertia and the rotational form of Newton's second law. Increasing the mass at the outer edge of the wheel makes it easier to set into motion.
BrianD
Hello,
I'm hoping someone can help me understand the physics involved in a rotating object.

Imagine 2 bicycle tires of different sizes with string wrapped around the rims.

How would I describe or calculate which tire requires less force to start spinning, or the change in force necessary to accommodate different diameter tires?

I would also like to understand how to describe what a change in a tires mass distribution does to affect the force needed for startup. ie, what happens when weight is added near the center of the tire as opposed to around the rim?

My appologies for a very basic question. Thank you for your help!

Brian

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the bicycle wheel in your question? on a frictionless surface, in a gravity free place, the wheel is standing straight, lying on the floor?

Like Justin said, it's all basically in the mass moment of inertia and the rotational form of Newton's second law.

Hi BrainD, welcome to Physics Forums!

I take you're interested only in the force needed to bring the wheel into motion, ignoring friction forces acceleration of the entire bike etc. I don't know how much physics or mathematics you know so I advise you to indeed read up on moment of inertia. It is a concept related to mass, but it takes into account the mass distriution. You already noticed the effect that mass close to the axis of rotation is easier to give a certain cycles per second than mass further away from the axis. As you might know accelerating mass requires a force F which is proportional to both the acceleration a and the mass m by Newtons second law:

[tex]F=ma[/tex]

For circular motion of a rigid body a similar formula exists:

[tex]T=I\alpha[/tex]

Now the force is replaced by a 'torque' T, mass by the 'moment of inertia' I and acceleration by 'angular acceleration' [itex]\alpha[/tex]. If you really want to find the answer to your question I advise you to read up on all three of them (eg try 'googling' them).

A second component

First off, thank you all very much for your help.

If I could trouble you help with one more aspect of this problem, as moment of inertia alone does not acurately explain what I've observed. I'll have to call this second component "leverage", although I'm sure that's not right, and am referring to the fact that as the radius of the wheel get's larger force applied to it's outside makes it easier to set in motion.

In the bicycle wheel example, the wheel is vertical (and here on earth, but I'm hoping friction is constant so I only have to consider 2 forces), and is only the tire's rim (no bicycle, and no rubber on the rim).

First, I'll wrap a rope around the rim 10 times, and pull the rope with a fixed amount of force to set the wheel spinning.

The next time, I wrap the rope around the rim 100 times (It's a very deep rim!), and pull with the same amount of force. In this case, I've increased the mass at the outer edge of the wheel to increase it's moment of inertia, but I've also increased the radius of the wheel (by wrapping more rope around it), making it easier to set into motion.

I guess what the question boils down to is, what is the proper name for this "leverage", and how can I look at and compare the effects of both in getting this wheel to start spinning?

Thank you very much for your help!

Brian

Lets consider an axially symmetric mass distribution. This is aproximately true in your case if you assume the wheel is much more massive than the rope one time around the wheel. This simplifies things considerably as it makes the moment of inertia much more simple and also we don't need to consider (much) the vector character of the involved quantities.

Torque:
In this case the torque needed is simply force times the 'arm', the point from the center of mass to the point you pull. [itex]T=rF[/tex]

Moment of inertia
The definition is[itex] I=\int r^2 dm[/itex] If you think of all th mass distributed a distance R from th center of the wheel this is just [itex]R^2 M[/itex] But ofcourse it's not that simple and I will increase by adding mass, and also if you distribute the mass further from the center

Now as I stated earlier the equation of motion (with \lpha the angular acceleration) is:

[tex]T=I\alpha[/tex]

So the force needed to set the wheel (radius R) in motion is:

[tex]F=\frac{T}{R}=\frac{I \alpha}{R}[/tex]

As you increase R the force needed to set the wheel in motion decreases, but at the same time I increases making it hardre to increase the angular acceleration. Thus describing the effect you mention...

Related to How does rotational acceleration affect different sized tires?

What is rotational acceleration?

Rotational acceleration is the measurement of the rate at which an object's rotational velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity that describes how quickly an object's rotation is increasing or decreasing.

What is the difference between rotational acceleration and linear acceleration?

Rotational acceleration refers to the change in an object's rotational velocity, while linear acceleration refers to the change in an object's linear velocity. They are both measures of how an object's motion is changing, but in different directions.

How is rotational acceleration calculated?

Rotational acceleration can be calculated using the formula α = Δω/Δt, where α is the rotational acceleration, Δω is the change in rotational velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

What factors affect rotational acceleration?

The factors that affect rotational acceleration include the object's moment of inertia, the applied torque, and the object's mass and distribution of mass. Additionally, the object's shape and surface friction can also impact its rotational acceleration.

Why is understanding rotational acceleration important in science?

Understanding rotational acceleration is important in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It helps us understand and predict the motion of rotating objects, and is essential in designing and analyzing many machines and systems, such as motors and satellites.