How Does Rolling Affect Kinetic Energy Distribution?

In summary, to find the angular velocity of the sphere at the bottom of the incline, you can use the equation v cm = rw and solve for w. For part b, you can use the equation for kinetic energy and compare the rotational kinetic energy to the total kinetic energy to find the fraction. It is important to remember that the equation used for part a is only applicable when there is no slipping. It is always good practice to include units in your calculations and final answer.
FatElie

Homework Statement

An 8 cm, 400 g sphere is released from rest at the top of a 2.1 m long, 25 degrees incline. It rolls, without slipping, to the bottom.
a. What is the sphere's angular velocity at the bottom of the incline?
b. What fraction of its kinetic energy is rotational?

Homework Equations

K rolling = (1/2) (I cm) (w^2) + (1/2) (M) (v cm^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the I cm for a sphere is 2/5 M R^2. I need to solve this equation for angular velocity but I can't seem to get the velocity of the centre of mass. I tried finding the potential energy and saying it all got converted to kinetic to find it but itgave me the wrong answer.

I found a, I just needed to substitute V cm = Rw to get the equation with only one unknown.
I'm still not sure about b though
Scratch that, got it. Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
!

I would like to clarify some things about your solution. First, it is important to note that the equation K rolling = (1/2) (I cm) (w^2) + (1/2) (M) (v cm^2) is only applicable when the object is rolling without slipping. If there is slipping, then the equation would be different and it would be more complicated to solve.

To find the velocity of the center of mass, you can use the equation v cm = rw, where r is the radius of the sphere and w is the angular velocity. This equation is derived from the definition of angular velocity, w = v/r, where v is the linear velocity and r is the radius.

For part b, to find the fraction of kinetic energy that is rotational, you can use the equation for kinetic energy, K = (1/2)mv^2, and substitute in the values for the linear velocity and the angular velocity. Then, you can compare the rotational kinetic energy, (1/2)Icmw^2, to the total kinetic energy and find the fraction.

Lastly, it is always good practice to include units in your calculations and final answer, as it helps to ensure that your solution is correct.

Related to How Does Rolling Affect Kinetic Energy Distribution?

1. What is rolling motion and how is it different from other types of motion?

Rolling motion is the movement of an object along a surface while also rotating around its own axis. It is different from other types of motion, such as linear or projectile motion, because it involves both translation and rotation.

2. What factors affect the rolling motion of an object?

The factors that affect the rolling motion of an object include its mass, shape, surface area, and the presence of external forces such as friction. The shape and surface area of an object can affect its ability to roll smoothly, while the mass and external forces can affect its speed and direction of motion.

3. How is the speed of a rolling object calculated?

The speed of a rolling object can be calculated using the equation v = ωr, where v is the linear speed, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the object.

4. What is the difference between rolling with and without slipping?

Rolling without slipping occurs when the linear speed of an object is equal to its angular velocity multiplied by its radius. This means that the object is not slipping or sliding along the surface. Rolling with slipping occurs when the linear speed is greater than the calculated value, causing the object to slip and potentially lose control.

5. How does the coefficient of rolling friction affect the motion of an object?

The coefficient of rolling friction is a measure of the resistance to rolling motion between two surfaces. A higher coefficient of rolling friction means that it will take more force to keep the object rolling, while a lower coefficient will result in a smoother and more efficient rolling motion.