How Does Rocket Propulsion Work in the Vacuum of Space?

In summary, for a rocket in free space, the total momentum of the system can be calculated using the equation P = mv + (m_0 - m)(v-u), where m is the mass of the rocket, v is its speed, m_0 is its initial mass, and u is the speed of the propellent relative to the ship. However, when solving for dP/dt=0, it is important to note that the velocity is linear in m. The mistake in this calculation is that the momentum of the rocket (mv) is used instead of the total momentum of the system (P). To solve this problem without using infinitesimals, the equation P = (m+dm)(v+dv) +
Euclid
For a rocket in free space, it seems that
[tex] P = mv + (m_0 - m)(v-u) [/tex]
where m is the mass of the rocket, v is its speed, m_0 is its initial mass, u is the speed of the propellent relative to the ship.
But in solving dP/dt=0, I get that the velocity is linear in m. There seems to be a mistake in what I have taken to be the total momentum. Can anyone point it out?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] P = (m+dm)(v+dv) + (-dm)(v-v_{ex}) [/tex] Both dm and dv are functions of time.

The problem is I am trying to solve the problem without appealing to the use of infinitesimals. It seems to me I should be able to write down P, differentiate and solve, with having to use these bizarre little quantities. What you have written is mv, the momentum of the rocket, not what I am calling P, the total momentum of the system, which must be constant.

Hmmm, well then using your notation and variables (not what I would have used) we get

const = P =
[tex]\int -(v(t)-u)\frac{dm}{dt} dt + m(t)*v(t)[itex]

for the same reason that cyrusabdollahi wrote - v is not a constant, it is a function of time. We want to add together all the exhaust masses dm moving at a velocity of v(t)-u. Note that dm/dt is <0, that's the reason for the minus sign in the first equation (easy to miss).

If we differentiate this expression with respect to time, the derivative is zero becaue it's constant, and we get

[tex]
-(v(t)-u) \frac{dm}{dt} + m(t)\frac{dv}{dt} + v(t)\frac{dm}{dt} = 0
[/tex]

which reduces to the standard rocket equation

m dv = u dm or
[tex]v = u \int \frac{dm}{m}[/tex]

Related to How Does Rocket Propulsion Work in the Vacuum of Space?

What is rocket motion in free space?

Rocket motion in free space refers to the movement of a rocket that is not influenced by any external forces, such as air resistance or gravity. In this scenario, the rocket is moving solely due to the thrust produced by its engines.

What is the principle behind rocket motion in free space?

The principle behind rocket motion in free space is Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of a rocket, the action is the expulsion of exhaust gases from the engines, and the reaction is the forward motion of the rocket.

How does a rocket achieve motion in free space?

A rocket achieves motion in free space by using its engines to generate thrust. The thrust produced by the engines pushes against the rocket, propelling it forward. This process continues until the rocket reaches its desired velocity or runs out of fuel.

What factors affect rocket motion in free space?

The main factors that affect rocket motion in free space are the amount of thrust produced by the engines, the mass of the rocket, and the direction of the thrust. Other factors, such as air resistance and gravity, are not present in free space.

What are the applications of rocket motion in free space?

Rocket motion in free space is crucial for space exploration and satellite launches. It allows spacecraft to travel through the vacuum of space and reach different destinations, such as the moon, other planets, or even other galaxies. It is also used for scientific research and communication purposes through the use of satellites.